Residence Permits - Permission to study in Sweden

Residence permit applications are handled by the Swedish Migration Board.

Students from countries outside the EU/EEA

In general, all students from countries outside the EU/EEA need to have a residence permit to study in Sweden. Exchange students coming to Sweden from a non-EU/EEA country may need a residence permit or visa to enter Sweden, depending on your citizenship.

You need to apply for and receive your permit before you travel to Sweden. The permit must be valid and you need to bring it with you when you travel to Sweden.

Students who need a residence permit are advised to apply as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance if you are an exchange student or as soon as you have paid the first tuition fee instalment if you are degree student.

You apply online at the Swedish Migration Board website

Applications for residence permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Board, NOT the University. The residence permit application is your responsibility.

Your admission results/notification of results or letter of acceptance is necessary in order to start the application process and for the Swedish Migration Board to complete it.

The Swedish Migration Board grants residence permits for one year at a time. Students must apply to extend the permit for the next year of study.

Residence permits - please note

  • Lund University does not issue residence permits. The Swedish Migration Board will deal with your application.
  • You must have your residence permit before you come to Sweden
  • You will need a passport to obtain a residence permit. Check that your passport does not expire during the duration of your studies
  • You will need to have been accepted for studies at Lund University in order to obtain a permit (either a Letter of Acceptance as an exchange student, or Notification of Results as a student admitted to a degree programme or course).
  • The most efficient way to make an application is online at the Swedish Migration Board website, but please ensure you have all documents ready so you can make a complete and full application.
  • You will need to demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself
  • Don't leave it to the last minute! Make your residence permit application online either as soon as you have received your "Letter of Acceptance" (exchange students) or as soon as the first tuition instalment has been paid (degree students).



International Desk
Lund University
Box 117
SE-221 00 Lund

Visting address: Stora Algatan 4, Lund
Opening hours:
Monday-Friday 10:00-14:00

Tel: +46(0)46 222 0100
Email: studentreception[at]lu.se

Facebook icon International Desk Facebook page