Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Swedish language courses for exchange students

Three students talking at the benches on the side of the cathedral

Introductory Swedish Language Course – SUSA

Lund University offers a short 'Swedish in a nutshell' course, designed specifically for exchange students to receive an introduction to the Swedish language. The course is called SUSA and it is designed to help exchange students with a smooth integration into Swedish society.

The SUSA courses are offered during the Orientation Weeks, before the regular classes start. Students can choose to sit the exam held at the end of the course, which results in 3 ECTS credits, if successfully completed. 

There are two levels of instruction for the SUSA courses:

  • beginner (no previous knowledge of Swedish)
  • intermediate (some previous knowledge of Swedish)

Those with some previous knowledge of the language will take a self-evaluation test to ensure you are placed at the right level. 

You apply for the SUSA course as part of the special online application for nominated exchange students, before coming to Lund.

About the SUSA course on the Centre for Languages and Literature website

Continued Swedish Language Course – SVE

Exchange students also have the opportunity to study Swedish as part of their study plan by applying for a course called Swedish for exchange students (SVE) that is worth 7.5 ECTS. 

Depending on availability, SVE courses can be taken as part of, or in addition to, your approved course load. Courses are offered from level 1 to 5. 

Be aware that the SVE courses may not be recognised by your home university for credit transfer purposes. It is therefore important that you check this information with your academic advisor at your home university.

About the course Swedish for exchange students (SVE) on the Centre for Languages and Literature website