Coronavirus (Covid-19) information for students

Lund University is following the Swedish Government's and Public Health Authority’s recommendations and guidelines regarding measures to reduce the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19).


New decision by the vice-chancellor – 18 January

A new decision was taken on 18 January to extend the measures that were already in place at the University.

See what the new decision entails 

Stricter restrictions at the national level from 18 December

As of 18 December, stricter national regulations and general advice came into force about everyone's responsibility to prevent the spread of Covid-19. Everyone in society, both individuals and business operators, has an obligation to take measures to prevent the spread of infection. This also applies to celebrating festive occasions.

Among other things, all activities conducted by the state and which are not necessary should be shut down immediately until 24 January 2021. Furthermore, all government agencies have a particular responsibility to ensure that all staff who do not need to be at the workplace are to work from home up to and including 24 January 2021.

Learn more about the stricter national regulations on

    Practical checklist for students

    We have compiled a practical checklist that may help you keep yourself and others healthy during the pandemic. It comprises general guidelines and recommendations for everyday life in Sweden, on campus and in your accommodation, advice on what to do when you get symptoms, and whom you can contact when you feel stressed or anxious about the situation etc.

    See the practical checklist here

    Spring semester 2021

    Information about your studies

    In the spring semester of 2021, that started as per normal on 18 January, teaching and assessment of students' performance are conducted almost entirely digitally, in accordance with the guidelines and restrictions from the Swedish Government and the Public Health Agency. Teaching and assessment that are impossible to conduct remotely, or possible only with great difficulty, are the only exception. Each faculty decides in detail how this is to be carried out.

    On 21 December 2020, stricter restrictions effective until 24 January were announced, and these were extended until further notice on 18 January 2021. 

    See all LU Management decisions in relation to the coronavirus

    Your course director or programme coordinator will communicate to you directly how the corona-related restrictions will affect your education. 

    If you have questions specifically about your education programme, you can turn to your course director or programme coordinator.

    Your student union is monitoring the quality of your education. If you have any questions, feedback or need help, you are welcome to contact them.

    Libraries and study areas

    Libraries are to be kept open with limited hours for students during the period until 31 March 2021, to the extent necessary to allow deposits or lending of books and access to reference literature. The same apples to study spaces, that are to be left accessible to a limited extent during the same period of time, for students who need such a space. Bear in mind that you will likely need your LU access card to enter the premises. 

    Taking a Covid-19 test

    You can either take a self-test or get tested at a local health centre.

    Log in to and order a self-test. You need to have a Swedish personal identity number and an e-ID to place an order. The self-test is then sent to a pharmacy. Ask someone else to pick up and later drop off the test at the pharmacy. You yourself are not allowed to visit the pharmacy, and you have to take the test at home. The instructions for the test are only available in Swedish.

    Learn more about the self-test on

    You can call a health centre if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number but do want to take a test. The health centre will decide if you should get tested or not.

    Find local health centres

    The duty to protect in the event of confirmed Covid-19

    According to the Communicable Diseases Act, a person who has a communicable disease (coronavirus) must do what is required to protect others from infection (the so-called duty to protect). You need to follow your healthcare provider's instructions and recommendations to this end. This for example entails informing the people you have been in contact with that you are infected. You can find out more about what the duty to protect entails via the links below.

    If you have been on campus while possibly contagious, you are also recommended to contact your programme/course coordinator about this.

        Support for students

        The Student Health Centre

        The changing situation and anxiety in relation to the coronavirus are affecting us all. The Student Health Centre have assembled some tips for students.

        Course- and programme-related questions and information

        Questions regarding your courses and examinations should be directed to your course director or programme coordinator. 

        Exchange students at Lund University can contact their international coordinator or the international office at their faculty.

        See faculty-specific corona-related information

        General questions

        For general questions about your stay in Sweden, how the University is dealing with the situation, or for any other question, you are most welcome to turn to the International Desk via email, studentreception [at] lu [dot] se. For current opening hours and phone hours, see the International Desk webpage

        Learning tips for digital education

        The Academic Support Centre have compiled a number of tips to facilitate digital learning. 

        See tips for studying from home

        The Student Chaplaincy

        The Student Chaplaincy offers counselling to students and staff, regardless of whether you are religious or not. The individual sessions are strictly confidential and free of charge. Counselling is also offered over the telephone or by video call. Telephone number: +46 (0)71 87 35, email: studentprasterna [dot] lund [at] svenskakyrkan [dot] se

        Visit the Student Chaplaincy's website and find more contact details

        Digital resources for your studies

        Note that you may need to log in with your student account. 

        Regarding face masks 

        Lund University follows the Swedish Public Health Agency’s guidelines and recommendations when it comes to the use of face masks. This means that, from the point of view of the University, staff and students are not generally required to use face masks. However, those wishing to use a face mask on university premises are naturally welcome to do so and there may be organisations within the University where the assessment is that face masks are required. Local decisions will be made in such cases.

        Also note that The Public Health Agency of Sweden recommends face masks in public transports in connection with work commuting and at other times when it is difficult to avoid congestion. These guidelines will apply from 7 January 2021.

        Learn more at the Swedish Public Health Agency website

        Studying abroad

        If you are planning to study abroad, it is important to consider a number of things and keep track of the situation in the host country and at the host university. 

        Learn more about what to consider when planning to study abroad during the ongoing pandemic

          Health care


          If you have any symptoms of a respiratory infection such as a cold, coughing, breathing difficulties or fever, you should stay at home and avoid contact with other people. Even mild symptoms are cause to stay home. Please do avoid the University and its common areas in these cases. If you cannot manage on your own in your home, you should call the national helpline 1177 to get advice (note that you should call +46 771 1177 00 if you're using a foreign phone number). Do not visit a healthcare provider without contacting 1177 first.

          According to the Swedish Communicable Diseases Act those who have a contagious disease (such as Covid-19), are required to do what they can to protect others from getting infected. For more information about this, please contact the national helpline 1177.


          As a student at Lund University, you have insurance that ensures that you have the same opportunity to access health care as Swedish students if a sudden illness occurs. Treatment for a sudden illness should be understood to be treatment for symptoms that occur suddenly and that you seek care for shortly thereafter.

          Learn more about your insurance cover

          Recommendations from the Swedish Public Health Agency

          All students are urged to keep updated and closely follow the recommendations for infection prevention provided by the Swedish Public Health Agency’s FAQs.

          News and information


          To find accurate and reliable Swedish news in English, you can for example listen to Radio Sweden or read articles published by the online newspaper The Local


          To learn more about the current situation in relation to the coronavirus in the Skåne region, you can visit the Region Skåne website. While the information is presented in Swedish only, it is accompanied by a number of graphs that should be quite straightforward even if you don't speak the language. 

          Visit the Region Skåne website

          Global news

          The World Health Organization (WHO) and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) are reliable sources for information in English at the global level. 

          Make yourself contactable

          All staff and students are encouraged to provide their mobile telephone number in Passport. The University can then send text messages to you if needed.

          1. Go to the account management portal Passport.
          2. Log in as 'User'.
          3. Select 'Verification of contact information'.
          4. Follow the instructions.

          All LU Management decisions

          Lund University's decisions and measures in relation to the coronavirus are published on a continuous basis at

          When leaving LU and Sweden

          When leaving the University and moving away from Sweden, there are a number of practical things to consider. We have compiled a checklist to make things easier for you. 

          See the 'Leaving LU' checklist

            Need medical assistance?

            • Contact the national helpline 1177 if you need medical assistance* – Do not visit a healthcare provider without contacting 1177 first! Note that you should call +46 771 1177 00 if you're using a foreign phone number.
            • Contact 113 13 if you cannot find answers to your general questions online. 

            *If you are not ill or are only experiencing mild symptoms, please consult the authorities' websites for information in the first place.