Migration issues (FAQ)

Coronavirus-related information

Below are some frequently asked questions about migration issues in relation to the coronavirus outbreak. The FAQ will be updated regularly, so please check back here.

If you aren’t able to return to your home country due to coronavirus pandemic and possible travel bans, flight restrictions, etc., you have the right to apply for a visitor’s permit in order to extend and legalise your stay in Sweden. It’s crucial that you submit your application before your current permit expires.

The Migration Agency has decided to waive the application fee (1 500 SEK) for those who will be applying for a visitor’s permit due to the risk of being stranded in Sweden due to the corona pandemic. If you apply for a visitor’s permit, specify the corona pandemic as the grounds for your application and state that you intend to travel home as soon as possible, and you won’t have to pay the application fee.

Find information on how to apply for a visitor's permit at the Migration Agency website

If you have any questions with regards to your studies and your navigating your migration status in Sweden, please feel free to contact the migration coordinator at Lund University via migration [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se.

If, in light of the outbreak of the coronavirus, you have any questions related to your residence permit application and/or current Swedish migration laws/legal practice, please contact the Migration Agency.

Find contact details for the Migration Agency at their website

According to current information, as of March 17, 2020, the Migration Agency has not changed its policies with regards to international students holding a residence permit for studies in Sweden. This means that these students are expected to continue to fulfil the requirements set by the Migration Agency (especially with regards to the full-time study requirement). Lund University will however continue to engage in dialogue with the Migration Agency to try and ensure that the needs of international students, facing a change in their study plan as a result of the coronavirus outbreak, are accommodated for.

Learn more about the full-time study requirement at the Migration Agency website

To keep up to date with any potential future amendments and exemptions for international students affected by the coronavirus outbreak, please visit the Migration Agency website regularly. On May 29, 2020, the Migration Agency updated their FAQ regarding residence permits for students during the coronavirus pandemic.

If your current permit for studies is about to expire, but you haven’t yet graduated, you will need to apply for an extension of your existing permit. In order to stay in Sweden whilst the Migration Agency processes your application, you will need to submit your application before your then current permit expires. We recommend that you read through the list of required documentation thoroughly before applying, to ensure that you meet the requirements; especially with regards to the full-time study requirement.

Learn more about applying for an extension at the Migration Agency website

Leaving Sweden (for a longer period of time) might negatively impact your residence permit eligibility, if you’re here on a residence permit for studies. According to Migration Agency rules, international students must meet several requirements, such as actively studying full-time within the country. Any deviation from this might mean that the Migration Agency decides to revoke your permit. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact the Migration Agency directly.

Find contact details for the Migration Agency at their website

On March 17, 2020, Sweden introduced a travel ban as a result of the ongoing spread of the coronavirus. The travel ban entered into effect on March 19 and has been extended to June 30, 2020. Persons who have a residence permit or right of residence in Sweden, and who are to return home, are exempted from the ban. Thus, at present, we recommend that newly employed and/or newly admitted third-country nationals, with new residence or work permits, not travel to Sweden, as they may be denied entry.

On May 29, 2020, the Migration Agency updated their FAQ for students with questions and answers related to resident permit issues during the coronavirus pandemic. Please check if you can find the answer to your question there.

Read the updated FAQ regarding residence permits on the Migration Agency website