Minor Field Studies
FIELD STUDIES IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES
Through Sida’s Minor Field Studies (MFS) scholarship, you can spend 8 weeks in a low or middle-income country conducting a minor field study for your Bachelor’s or Master’s degree project.
Am I eligible for the MFS scholarship?
In order to be considered eligible for the MFS scholarship, you should:
- Be a Swedish citizen OR a citizen of another Nordic country who has been living in Sweden on a permanent basis for at least one year OR an international citizen who has been granted Permanent Right of Residence (PUT)* in Sweden.
- Be a Bachelor's or Master's student enrolled at Lund University who needs to collect data for their degree project.
- Be proficient in English and understand Swedish.
- Have an active interest in international affairs.
* Note that EU citizens’ Right of Residence (PUR) for work and studies is not the same thing as Permanent Right of Residence (PUT).
What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarship is a financial contribution that partly covers the expenses incurred during a field study. It usually needs to be complemented with funding from e.g. CSN. The scholarship amounts to SEK 27 000.
- 15–30 January 2022
- 5–25 April 2022
- 5–25 October 2022
Visit the Swedish version of the MFS webpage on lu.se for more information on the application process.
If you have questions regarding the scholarship, please contact the Minor Field Studies Officer at the Divison of External Relations: MFS [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se.
Your safety during an MFS
Conducting a field study may involve being subject to certain risks to your health and safety. No scholarships will be granted for countries the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs (UD) advises against travelling to.
If you are currently doing an MFS in a country with such a travel advisory, you should end your fieldwork immediately and return to Sweden. If you have to end your MFS due to recommendations from UD, you will not be liable to return the scholarship funding you have received.
Hilda Fhager, MFS Officer
MFS [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se
Where have MFS students travelled?
Explore the map to see where LU students went for their MFS and what they accomplished.