Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.

Before your departure

Preparations for Lund University students nominated for exchange
There is a lot to think about before you go on a student exchange. You will need to find out most things on your own. Make sure that you are well-informed about insurance, visa, vaccinations, student finance and accommodation!

Information meeting before departure

If you are nominated for exchange studies, you are invited to join one of the biannual Time to Go meetings. The next Time to Go meeting will take place on 20 November 2018 from 17:15–19:00, in the aula in the building Eden (Paradisgatan 5).

Things to read up on before departure

Transfer your credits

Follow the instructions from your faculty to assure transfer of credits from your exchange studies and registration in Ladok of credits within your programme/degree. The person whom you have been in contact with concerning your study plan may have to approve changes of courses.

Bring the following important documents

  1. Admission decision from the host university
  2. Current Ladok transcript (stamped and signed by someone at Lund University)
  3. Certificate with regard to funding (certificate from your bank, student finance or scholarship organisation)
  4. Certificate of insurance (Försäkringskassan’s European health insurance card, or certificate/insurance card from Kammarkollegiet)
  5. Passport (valid throughout the duration of your stay abroad)
  6. Visa/s
  7. Medicine and prescriptions. If you are on regular medication, it is important that you, after consulting with your doctor, bring your prescription. If you are bringing medicine with you, do not forget to check that they are allowed in the country to which you are travelling!

Find out what the insurance covers

All students travelling as part of an exchange are insured through Kammarkollegiet’s collective insurance for exchange students called Student UT.

The insurance is valid starting two weeks prior and ending two weeks after the study period (including orientation and exams), and only in the country in which you study. Make sure that you get additional insurance to cover trips outside the country of study.

Read the terms and conditions of the Student UT insurance on Kammarkollegiet’s website

Exchange within Europe

If you are going on an exchange to an EU country, or to any of the convention countries with which Sweden has an agreement on health care benefits, you should obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) via Försäkringskassan (The Swedish Social Insurance Agency) in addition to your Student OUT insurance.

Read more on the Försäkringskassan website

Exchange outside Europe

If you are going on an exchange to a non-EU country you will receive an insurance document (card or certificate) from your coordinator/faculty at Lund University. Please note that some countries/universities (for instance in North America) require that you acquire insurance from the host university. Your coordinator will have more information on this.

Apply for scholarships

If you have been admitted to exchange studies in a Nordic or European country, you can apply for a Nordplus or an Erasmus scholarship. There are also several other scholarships for students at Lund University.

Apply for a visa

You are responsible for you own visa application. Apply for a visa only after you have received your admission decision from the host university. You can, however, begin to prepare your visa application in advance by retrieving the requested documents. In some cases, you may need to obtain a medical certificate. Make sure your passport is valid throughout the entire exchange period, sometimes even several months after. At the website of the Government Offices of Sweden you can find contact information for embassies and consulates abroad.

Find out about vaccination recommendations

On the World Health Organisation website you can find out about recommendations for vaccinations in the country in which you will be studying and other countries you plan to visit. The Swedish medical advice hotline 1177 can also give advice on travel and vaccinations.

Check if you can keep your current scholarship/student finance

If you are currently on a scholarship (from Lund University or another scholarship organisation), or if you are currently recieving student finance (student aid or a student loan) from an organisation in your home country, please check with your financial administrator at the relevant organisation if you will be able to keep your scholarship while studying abroad. 

Swedish cititizen with student aid from CSN?

If you are a Swedish cititizen with student aid from the Swedish National Board of Student Aid, we recommend that you apply for student finance both for your semester abroad and for the following semester at home, to avoid late payments during the following semester. It often takes a while before your transcript arrives and it takes time to have your credits transferred and registered in Ladok.

You will not need a certificate from your coordinator at Lund University in order to apply for student finance since CSN is able to go into Ladok and ensure that you are registered for exchange studies.

Read more on the CSN website

Other preperations

Rent out your home

The exchange agreements of Lund University are reciprocal. This means that we are committed to receive as many incoming exchange students as we send out. As the housing situation is always a challenge for incoming students, we would appreciate your help. If you are interested in subletting, please contact your landlord and BoPoolen at

Take a language course

If you want to learn the country’s language, you can attend a language course at the host university or another language school. Some universities offer students an introductory language course before/when the term starts (in some cases free of charge). However it is not likely that you will be able to transfer the credits for such courses.

Plan your trips

The admission and visa processes can take a long time. Your coordinator at Lund University has no way of accelerating it. Therefore, we recommend that all trips be scheduled for after you have completed your studies.

Look into possible driver’s licence restrictions

If you are planning to drive during your time abroad, you need to look into possible driver’s licence restrictions. If you have a Swedish driver's licence, you can check the Motormännen’s websiteIf you have a licence from a country other than Sweden, please check with the local authorities or institution responsible for issuing international driver’s licences in the country of issuance. 

Visit Motormännen’s website (in Swedish only)

Give power of attorney

Give power of attorney to someone you trust at home so that, if needed, they can help you with issues regarding banking, mail, CSN, etc.


Page Manager: