Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Before your departure

Preparations for Lund University students nominated for exchange

There is a lot to think about before you go on a student exchange. You will need to find out most things on your own. Make sure that you are well-informed about insurance, visa, vaccinations, student finance and accommodation!

To read and watch before your departure

Overview of key preparations before your departure

The video below and the Time to Go brochure give an overview of the key preparations you need to make before your exchange. The information and the films on this webpage will be updated during April 2021. All nominated students will be notified via email when the information is updated.

For more specific information on CSN, grants and scholarships, vaccinations and international health and travel, see the links below. 

Your insurance during the exchange

During the exchange, you are covered by an insurance that, for example, provides protection if you are in need of medical care, have to buy medication, get robbed, or a number of other situations. Read up on the insurance cover and how to make a claim on Kammarkollegiet's website. Please note that new terms and conditions will be put into force from 1 July 2021. Supplementary information about the insurance will be updated on this webpage during June 2021.

You can find more information about the Student OUT insurance and the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) by using the links below. 

*Note that Student OUT does not apply in the following circumstances:

  • Online studies – Student OUT does not apply to distance education, i.e. studies must be conducted on site in the host country. If your exchange studies are conducted online, i.e. in Lund or another place outside of Sweden, you are not covered by any of Kammarkollegiet's insurances and need to obtain your own insurance.
  • When the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises against travel to a country or a region, Student OUT does not apply (new regulation valid from 1 July 2021). The advice against travel ('reseavrådan') from the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs must have existed on the day of departure for the new regulation to apply. If you have started your studies before the advice was announced, the insurance is valid for a transitional period (maximum 30 days), so that you have time to leave the country and travel back to Sweden.
  • In case of violation of the law. The insurance does not cover legal protection if the you violate the laws of the host country. What may appear to be a minor offence in Sweden may be punishable in another country.
  • The insurance does not apply for travel outside the country of study during the study period, nor does it apply for private travel in connection with the study period, apart from the those two weeks before and after the study period. The insurance applies for study trips to another country with a supervisor, provided that Kammarkollegiet has been informed before the trip.
  • See the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for advice against travel per country (In Swedish)
  • See the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for a definition of advice against travel (In Swedish)

Other students' experiences

Going on an exchange is quite a process. Is it really all that it's cracked up to be?

The Erasmus mobility grant within Europe

If you are going on exchange within Europe, you need to apply for the Erasmus mobility grant. You will need to provide documentation before, during and after your exchange to be eligible for this grant. 

Adapting to a new environment

Getting started with your studies in another country is of course exciting but can be challenging at the same time. The Student Health Centre gives advice that may help you with this transition. 

Being a student ambassador abroad

In order for our future students to be able to study abroad, we are dependent on students wanting to come Lund. Our student ambassadors are invaluable in that respect. 

Representing LU during your exchange can both be fun and rewarding for you. 

Apply for scholarships

If you have been accepted to exchange studies within the Nordic countries or Europe, you can apply for the Nordplus or Erasmus+ scholarships.

If you have been accepted to exchange studies outside of Europe, you can apply for the Craaford Foundation travel grant.

There are also other scholarships that you can apply for as a student at Lund University.