Applying for US student loans

Information for US citizens

Application procedure

If you are a postgraduate/professional student or an undergraduate student, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you are planning to fund your education at Lund University through Direct Loans. We will use the information from your FAFSA to assist in determining your eligibility for a Direct Loan.

  • You may complete the FAFSA electronically 
  • Please remember to use our university code when you do your FAFSA. The university (school) code for Lund University is G10067
  • To complete the FAFSA electronically, you must have a Federal Student Aid ID. To apply for a FAFSA ID (if you do not already have one), or for customer service regarding a previously assigned ID, visit the Federal Student Aid webpages about the FAFSA ID
  • After the Department processes your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please retain the SAR for your records and be prepared to provide it to us if we ask.
  • You will also have to complete entrance counselling  for the type of loan that you are applying for. Usually it is a Subsidised/Unsubsidised Direct Loan, but please note that there is special entrance counselling that you need to complete if you are applying for a Direct Plus Loan. 

In addition to completing a FAFSA, you will need to have been admitted to a programme leading to a degree (or otherwise eligible programme) at Lund University on at least a half-time basis and meet other eligibility requirements such as maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and being within the borrowing limits for Direct Subsidised Loans and Direct Unsubsidised Loans.  

After we have determined your eligibility for a Direct Subsidised Loan and/or a Direct Unsubsidised Loan, we will notify you of the loans and amounts for which you are eligible in a letter called an Award Letter. This letter will be sent to the email address that you have used in your FAFSA. Depending on your status, we may also include information about a Direct Plus Loan award for which you or your parent may be eligible (if you are a graduate/professional student, you may be eligible for a Direct Plus Loan; if you are a dependent undergraduate student, your parent may be eligible for a Direct Plus Loan). 

More information on the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid website:

Read the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy (PDF 1.6 MB)

The Master Promissory Note

To take out a Direct Loan, you must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) per loan type. The MPN can be completed online. The MPN is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the US Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s).

Go to the website to complete your MPN

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Lund University is required by US Department of Education regulations to ensure that all students receiving Federal aid (subsidized, unsubsidized and PLUS) are making satisfactory academic progress. If you fail to meet SAP you will become ineligible for US Direct Loans.

Please see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (PDF 1.5 MB) for more information

Entrance counseling

All students are required to undergo entrance counseling, this process will assist your understanding of the loan programme and underline your rights and responsibilities You can complete entrance counseling at the Federal Student Aid website, you will need your ED-pin in order to login (the same you used when submitting your FAFSA). Please be aware that we will will not process your loans if you have not completed entrance counselling.

Learn more about entrance counselling on the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid website

Exit counselling

All students who are about to withdraw, graduate or drop below half-time enrollment has to complete exit counseling. Exit counseling helps students understand their rights and responsibilities as a student borrower. The exit counseling can be completed at the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

Consolidating FFEL Program Loans into the Direct Loan Program

If you already have FFEL Program loans and will now be receiving Direct Loans, consolidating your FFEL and Direct Loan Program loans together into a Direct Consolidation Loan may make loan repayment easier. If you consolidate, you will have a single monthly payment. Consolidating your FFEL Program loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan may also allow you to take advantage of certain benefits that are offered only in the Direct Loan Program, such as Public Service Loan Forgiveness and the Income Contingent Repayment Plan.

Learn more about consolidation on the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid website

Return of Title IV Funds

US Federal law specifies how Lund University must determine the amount of Title IV programme assistance (Direct Loans) that students earn if they withdraw from university. The Student Finance Administrator is responsible for calculating R2T4 and uses worksheets and software provided by the US Department of Education to calculate the R2T4 funds. All funds must be returned to the lender within 45 days of the date of when Lund University determined that a student withdrew. For more information about your Title IV programme funds, or if you have questions, students can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center.

In order to calculate return of Title IV student aid, the Student Finance Administrator uses a formula to calculate the percentage of the payment period which the student has completed. The payment period is the semester for which the loan was certified. If a student completes 45% of the payment period or period of enrolment, the student has earned 45% of the funds they were originally scheduled to receive. If a student has completed more than 60% of the payment period or the period of enrolment, the student is eligible to keep all of the funds. If a student has not received all funds when the student withdraws, they may choose to decline the rest of the loan funds so that additional debt is not incurred.

United States Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits

Lund University is eligible to handle United States Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits.

Read more about the education benefits on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website