Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Preparing to use US Student Loans

Information for US students admitted to Lund University who plan to use Title IV US Loans to fund their studies and/or living costs.

Timeline and key steps for autumn 2017 

24 March 2017

Admission results announced (first notification of results) via your account.

Before mid-April

File your FAFSA using the Lund University school code G10067.

You must notify the Lund University US Loans Officer: studielan [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se that you have successfully submitted your FAFSA, so that we can go ahead and process it.  Be sure to inform us of your application number and of any different names used in your FAFSA application compared to your admissions application. Allow a few weeks of processing time.

Before mid-May

Lund University sends preliminary Award Letters to admitted students who filed their FAFSA by mid-April. This letter explains the amount you are able to borrow and the steps you need to complete in order to use Title IV loans at Lund University.

You must reply to the Lund University US Loans Officer as soon as possible to advise the amount you intend to borrow and if you wish to use Title IV Loans to pay tuition fees.

Before late-May

LU sends you a confirmation of your requested loan amount and we inform the Swedish Migration Agency that you will use US Loans for living costs and/or tuition.

Once you receive confirmation from the Lund University US Loans Officer that the Migration Agency has been informed, you apply for your residence permit via the Swedish Migration Agency website as soon as possible. Do not apply for the residence permit before you have received this confirmation from us or you risk extensive delays in processing time.


Once you receive your residence permit decision we recommend that you get your biometric data and residence permit card organised while in the US, if possible and practical. This saves you time later on, especially if you will need funds very soon after arrival in Sweden.

15 August 2017

Arrival Day for new international students.

End of August

Register in your programme by attending the roll call during the first day of class.

Early September

If studying in Sweden for more than a year, you need to apply for a Swedish personal number from the Swedish Tax Agency, Skatteverket. You can do this once you have been registered by the programme in the student registration system (LADOK) and can print out a document confirming this (allow one week into the semester). Once you have applied for and received the official Swedish personal number from Skatteverket, set up a Swedish bank account at a bank of your choice and then arrange to meet the US Loans Officer to arrange disbursement of funds.

Students who are studying in Sweden for less than one year cannot get a Swedish personal number from Skatteverket. However selected bank branches in Lund can assist you with opening an account once you are in Sweden. You will receive information about this from the US Loans Officer.

Page Manager:

Contact information

(US) Student Finance Administrator
Lund University
studielan [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se

+46 (0) 46 222 7099