The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Parenthood and studies

Are you interested in learning about what it is like to be a student and a parent/parent-to-be at the same time? The University makes it easier for those who want to combine studies with parenthood. You can read more about what applies regarding course timetables and approved leave from studies among other things.

Lund University offers support and has rules in place to make it easier for parents to study. You can read more below about what applies at the University.

Study planning

As a student and a parent, you might need to plan how you organise your studies. Help is available to you.

The University’s List of Rights states that course and study programme syllabi for the upcoming semester are to be available by the date that the course or study programme opens for registration at the latest. 

The University is also responsible for ensuring that course timetables and dates and times of exams and re-sits are available on the course or study programme website and student portal where applicable at least one month before the start of the course.

The List of Rights is to help clarify what students are entitled to – and in some cases what their responsibilities are.

Read more about student rights and responsibilities

A University study counsellor can help you plan and organise your studies.

Contact details to the study counsellors for courses and study programmes are available at:

Study guidance for specific study programmes and courses

If special grounds exist, such as the need to care for a child, the University may decide in certain cases that students admitted to first or second-cycle studies may be approved for deferment of studies. Being approved for deferment of studies means you will commence your studies at a later time.

Turn to Lund University’s Admissions Office if you have questions regarding deferment of studies.

Contact the Lund University Admissions Office

For questions on admission to courses and study programmes at the Faculty of Engineering (LTH), send an email to antagningen [at] lth [dot] lu [dot] se.

Approved leave from studies refers to a leave of absence which the student has reported to the University. If special grounds exist, the University may decide in certain cases that a student who has commenced first or second-cycle studies may continue their studies after an approved leave from studies (place guarantee).

Special grounds for continuing studies after an approved leave from studies may be social, medical or other particular circumstances such as the care of a child.

Contact your study counsellor for information on how to apply for an approved leave from studies.

Study guidance for specific study programmes and courses


When combining parenthood and studying, it is good to be aware of the available financial support and which public authorities you can contact.

Special rules are in place pertaining to your student finance if you need to stay home to care for a sick child. It is important to report your absence from studies to the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN) when you need to stay home to care for a sick child.

Read more about study support and important aspects to keep in mind when studying:

Caring for a sick child –

A parent who studies can receive an extra child allowance in addition to student finance from the Swedish Board of Student Finance (CSN). The size of the extra child allowance depends on whether you are studying full or part time and how many children you have. Read more on CSN’s website:

Extra child allowance for parents who are studying –

Parental benefit is a form of financial support that parents receive when caring for a child. As a student you are generally not entitled to temporary parental benefit.

As a parent you can apply for a housing allowance from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). 

Parental benefit and housing allowance –

Are you considering undertaking exchange studies? It might be possible to receive an extra child allowance if your children will accompany you. You can read more about extra child allowance during exchange studies through Erasmus+ at the following page under the heading 'Grants for students with fewer opportunities':

European exchange programme Erasmus+ –

Children on the University’s premises

As a rule, underage children may not be at the University during teaching situations such as lectures, but an exception might be made in some cases. You need to ask the head of department in charge of the course you are taking if an exception can be made.

You are allowed to have children with you on the University’s premises that are considered to be public places, such as study spaces.


If you have any questions about childcare, please contact the municipality in which you are officially registered.