Research in focus
Cutting edge treatments bring hope for the seriously ill
New Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs) based on genes, cells or tissue engineering could revolutionise treatments for hard-to-treat diseases. ATMPs aim to cure, treat or alleviate various forms of cancer, Parkinson's disease, diabetes and other illnesses.
Technological revolution transforms archaeology
Extensive excavations of the largest Iron Age settlement in the Nordic countries have begun. Thanks to new scientific methods, researchers can gain access to new facts about the lives and the people who once settled in Uppåkra.
Development of new semiconductors
Without new, efficient, energy-saving and customised microchips, digitalisation and the energy conservation measures we need for a green transition are in jeopardy.
What is a semiconductor?
Semiconductors are materials that can be controlled so that they either conduct electrical current or not. This allows them to be used as a kind of very small switch, called a transistor, in computer technology, among others. Transistors are the most important component in all modern electronics.
UN climate report
On 4 April the IPCC released the third part of the Sixth Assessment Report, Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change. The report has been written by researchers from around the world, including Lund University, who have reviewed tens of thousands of scientific research articles. Their assessment has in several stages been studied and commented on, both by other experts and by the individual UN member states.
Key questions in the subreport
- What has been the global emissions trend in recent years and how does this trend differ between regions?
- Which factors have affected the emissions trend?
- What solutions – technical, economic and policy instrument-related – are currently available to reduce emissions?
- How can different measures be combined and implemented over time to reduce emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases to align with the world’s climate goals?
- How do emission reduction, climate change adaptation and sustainable development relate to each other, and how can measures in one area contribute to another?