Become an international mentor
Register as an international mentor!
Want to have fun and at the same time help new international students to settle into Lund student life? Become an international mentor and help out during arrival and orientation!
For questions, please contact the International Mentor Coordinator at fadderi [at] er.lu.se.
Your mentor group
International mentors can be either current Swedish or current international students at Lund University. Mentors are organised into groups of 3-5 mentors and 20-30 new international students. Together with the other mentors in the group you organise social activities with the new students, especially during the Orientation Programme, but also during the semester. If you have special wishes regarding your mentor group, please state them in the registration form. You are also welcome to volunteer as a mentor during Arrival Day and the Orientation weeks.
Arrival Day mentor stations
Arrival Day is the official start of the Orientation Weeks for new international students at Lund University. As a mentor you can volunteer at one (or two if you work the whole day) of seven different stations during Arrival Day. The different stations are:
- Copenhagen airport host – greet new students, help them to buy a train ticket to Lund and guide them to the correct train platform.
- Lund station host – greet new students and guide them to the minivan shuttle service provided on Arrival Day.
- Minivan driver – drive one of the minivans in the shuttle service. Swedish or EU driver’s license required.
- Minivan host – host one of the minivans in the shuttle service, read maps and give directions to the driver and use a smartphone with a walkie-talkie app to communicate with the bus coordinator.
- Luggage room host – take care of new students’ luggage while they are visiting Arrival Day.
- Check-in host – check-in new students, give them their welcome package and answer questions.
- AD host – help new students to find their way in the Arrival Day venue.
You can choose to volunteer for one shift (8.00-15.00 or 15.00-21.00) or help us during the whole day (8.00-21.00). All international mentors working during Arrival Day are served lunch, drinks and snacks.
Orientation Weeks mentor activities
During the Orientation Weeks there are several other activities where we need the help of mentors:
- Excursions – During the Orientation Weeks approx. 400 new students take part in a bus tours in Skåne. As a mentor you can host one of the buses during the tours. Your responsibility is to keep track of the time schedule and make sure the students have an enjoyable day.
- Welcome Reception – During the Orientation Weeks the vice-chancellor of Lund University holds a welcome reception for new international students. As a mentor you help organise the mingle after the ceremony and serve snacks and refreshments.
- Taste of Sweden – a food tasting event where international students can try different kinds of Swedish food, dairy products and snacks. As a mentor you help organising the seating arrangements, queues and serve food.
- Treasure Hunt – During the Treasure Hunt you and your mentor groups will compete against other groups by completing different challenges at Lund student organisations. This is a perfect opportunity for your group members to get to know each other and to teach the new students about the rich Lund student life! The Treasure Hunt is only organised during Orientation weeks in August.
- Sports Day – During the Sports Day you will once again compete with your mentor group. At this event your team will try different outdoor sports and games. Sports Day is only organised during Orientation weeks in August.
The mentor certificate
At the end of semester, international mentors who successfully complete the programme will receive an official mentor certificate from Lund University. In order to successfully complete the programme, a mentor has to fulfill the following criteria:
- Sign the Code of Conduct
- Complete a mentor training session
- Send a Welcome E-mail to the mentor group
- Arrange a specific number of activities during the Orientation programme and during the semester
- Submit the brief report and the final report
Questions about being a mentor? Contact Freja Rahm, International Mentor Coordinator at fadderi [at] er.lu.se
+46 (0)46 222 0100
Stora Algatan 4, Lund