The official academic year at Lund University is divided into two semesters (autumn and spring), each lasting 20 weeks.
Semester dates at Lund University:
- Spring semester 2015: Monday 19 January - Sunday 7 June
- Autumn semester 2015: Monday 31 August - Sunday 17 January 2016
- Spring semester 2016: Monday 18 January - Sunday 5 June
- Autumn semester 2016: Monday 29 August - Sunday 15 January 2017
- Spring semester 2017: Monday 16 January - Sunday 4 June
The exact duration of the semesters may vary slightly from faculty to faculty and also from year to year, depending on which weekday the official dates are that year. It is therefore advisable to check for exact dates directly with the department(s) concerned.
Arrival Days for international students
- Arrival Day for the autumn semester 2015 is 18 August.
- Arrival Day for the spring semester 2016 is 11 January.
Christmas and Easter holidays
There is no official break in the academic calendar for Christmas or Easter, however in practice there is usually a break from classes over the Christmas/New Year's period and over the Easter period, including the public holiday days. The exact dates for such a break are determined by each department so please check with the programme/department to confirm when classes/assignments pause.
Public holidays 2015 - spring and autumn semesters
- New Year's Day (Nyårsdagen): 1 January
- Epiphany (Trettondagen): 6 January
- Good Friday (Långfredagen): 3 April
- Easter Sunday (Påskdagen): 5 April
- Easter Monday (Annandag påsk): 6 April
- Walpurgis Night (Valborgsmässoafton): 30 April - note that this is an evening celebration and does not necessarily mean a whole day of holiday, please check with your department
- May Day (Första maj): 1 May
- Ascension Day: 14 May
- Swedish National Day: 6 June
- Midsummer Eve (Midsommarafton): 19 June
- Midsummer Day (Midsommardagen): 20 June
- All Saints' Day public holiday (Alla Helgons Dag): 31 October
- Christmas Eve (Julafton): 24 December
- Christmas Day (Juldagen): 25 December
- Boxing Day (Annandagen): 26 December
- New Year's Eve (Nyårsafton): 31 December