The official academic year at Lund University is divided into two semesters (autumn and spring), each lasting 20 weeks.
Semester dates at Lund University:
- Spring semester 2017: Monday 16 January - Sunday 4 June
- Autumn semester 2017: Monday 28 August - Sunday 14 January
- Spring semester 2018: to be confirmed
The exact duration of the semesters may vary slightly from faculty to faculty and also from year to year, depending on which weekday the official dates are that year. It is therefore advisable to check for exact dates directly with the department(s) concerned.
Arrival Days for international students
- Arrival Day for the autumn semester 2017: 15 August, 09:00-20:00
- Arrival Day for the spring semestser 2018: to be confirmed
Christmas and Easter holidays
There is no official break in the academic calendar for Christmas or Easter, however in practice there is usually a break from classes over the Christmas/New Year's period and over the Easter period, including the public holiday days. The exact dates for such a break are determined by each department so please check with the programme/department to confirm when classes/assignments pause.
Public holidays 2017 - spring and autumn semester
- New Year's Day (Nyårsdagen): 1 January
- Epiphany (Trettondagen): 6 January
- Good Friday (Långfredagen): 14 April
- Easter Sunday (Påskdagen): 16 April
- Easter Monday (Annandag påsk): 17 April
- Walpurgis Night (Valborgsmässoafton): 30 April - note that this is an evening celebration and does not necessarily mean a whole day of holiday, please check with your department.
- Labour Day: 1 May
- Ascension Day (Kristi himmelsfärds dag): 25 May
- Sweden's National Day: 6 June
- Midsummer Eve: 23 June
- Midsummer Day: 24 June
- All Saints' Day (Alla Helgons Dag): 4 November
- Christmas Eve (Julafton): 24 December
- Christmas Day (Juldagen): 25 December
- Boxing Day (Annandagen): 26 December
- New Year's Eve (Nyårsafton): 31 December