The official academic year at Lund University is divided into two semesters (autumn and spring), each lasting 20 weeks.
Semester dates at Lund University:
The academic year 2022/2023
- Autumn semester 2022: Monday 29 August 2022 – Sunday 15 January 2023
- Spring semester 2023: Monday 16 January 2023 – Sunday 4 June 2023
The academic year 2023/2024
- Autumn semester 2023: Monday 28 August 2023 – Sunday 14 January 2024
- Spring semester 2024: Monday 15 January 2024 – Sunday 2 June 2024
The exact duration of the semesters may vary slightly from faculty to faculty and also from year to year, depending on which weekday the official dates are that year. It is therefore advisable to check for exact dates directly with the department(s) concerned.
Programmes with different start dates for 2023/2024:
- All international Bachelor's and Master's programmes at the School of Economics and Management start the Wednesday prior to the regular autumn semester, for newly admitted students.
- The Master's in Environmental Studies and Sustainability Science starts the Wednesday prior to the regular autumn semester, for newly admitted students.
- The Master's in Psychology starts the Thursday prior to the regular autumn semester, for newly admitted students.
- The Master's in European Affairs, Welfare Policies and Management, Global Studies, Social Studies of Gender and Development Studies all start the Friday prior to the regular autumn semester, for newly admitted students.
Please note that this list of programmes may be subject to change and that you should check with your programme coordinator or department in case you have any questions about the start date.
Arrival Days for international students
- Arrival Day for students starting their studies in autumn 2022 was 15 and 16 August, 2022.
- Arrival Day for students starting their studies in spring 2023 will be 9 January, 2023.
Christmas and Easter holidays
There is no official break in the academic calendar for Christmas or Easter, however, in practice, there is usually a break from classes over the Christmas/New Year's period and over the Easter period, including the public holiday days. The exact dates for such a break are determined by each department so please check with the programme/department to confirm when classes/assignments pause.
Swedish Public Holidays
- All Saints' Day (Alla Helgons Dag): 5 November
- Christmas Eve (Julafton): 24 December
- Christmas Day (Juldagen): 25 December
- Boxing Day (Annandagen): 26 December
- New Year's Eve (Nyårsafton): 31 December
- New Year's Day (Nyårsdagen): 1 January
- Epiphany (Trettondedag): 6 January
- Good Friday (Långfredagen): 7 April
- Easter Sunday (Påskdagen): 9 April
- Easter Monday (Annandag påsk): 10 April
- Walpurgis Night (Valborgsmässoafton): 30 April – note that this is an evening celebration and does not necessarily mean a whole day of the holiday, please check with your department.
- Labour Day (Första maj): 1 May
- Ascension Day (Kristi himmelsfärds dag): 18 May
- Whit Sunday (Pingstdagen): 28 May
- Sweden's National Day (Nationaldagen): 6 June
- Midsummer Eve (Midsommarafton): 23 June
- Midsummer Day (Midsommardagen): 24 June