Global engagement and international collaboration
Global engagement is both a natural and necessary part of Lund University to continue developing as an internationally leading university that protects democracy, human rights and academic freedom. Together with our partners around the world, we actively address key global challenges.
Global Dynamic Engagement (GDE) is Lund University's approach to enhance and develop our international impact in research, education, innovation and collaboration and at the same time consolidate our place in the global arena.
As one of four priority areas in the University's strategic work, GDE contributes with innovative, digital and sustainable conditions which enhances and develops our global commitment and strengthens our international impact through
- partnerships that make an international impact over time and matches the University’s direction and objectives within research, education and innovation
- collaborations that enrich research and education and lead to global development and strengthens the University's competitiveness and attractiveness
- memberships in networks and alliances that maximise the quality of the University's operations and increases the opportunities to influence developments in Europe and beyond.
GDE creates the conditions for university-wide international work. It provides support for the University to work with international issues in a dynamic, responsible and sustainable way.
As a university, we become better equipped to act based on changes in the outside world and can, through roadmaps, make the necessary priorities in the global commitment in research, education, innovation and cooperation in the geographical areas where we are operating.
Our priority networks
Visit each network's website to find out more about their activities and members:
- Universitas 21 – global network
- LERU – League of European Research Universities
- EUGLOH – European University Alliance for Global Health
Collaboration at the faculty and department level
Faculty and departmental study abroad collaborations are presented on the faculty/school websites:
The international university
- A world top 100 university and Sweden's highest ranked comprehensive university.
- First choice for international students in Sweden, with more than 140 international degree programmes, exchange and doctoral studies.
- Ranked 61st in Times Higher Education's Most International Universities in the World Rankings 2023.
- A diverse student community from over 130 countries, with 46% international Master's and doctoral students.
- A highly international research body with 57% international researchers.
- Exchange agreements with 670 universities in 75 countries, with 1,170 incoming and 1,225 outgoing students in 2022.
- Ranked as the 8th best university worldwide for social and environmental sustainability (QS World University Rankings: Sustainability 2024).