Lund University aspires to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition. By doing so we act as a driving force for sustainable development.
Sustainability is a complex area which calls for interdisciplinary research, education and external engagement. The University offers multiple courses and study programmes, networks and collaborations connected to the sustainability goals outlined in Agenda 2030.
Our courses and programmes allow students to address sustainable development from many different subject-specific perspectives. Through education at the Bachelor's, Master's and PhD level as well as professional development, this understanding of sustainability follows our students into their professional lives.
- International Master's programmes and MOOCs in environment and sustainability
- Education – sustainability.lu.se
Capacity building programmes
- Professional education about sustainable land management
- Professional education about sustainable, inclusive and climate-resilient cities
We are constantly generating new scientific knowledge that problematises and increases our understanding of sustainable development. Interdisciplinary, problem-orientated and curiosity-driven research is needed to strengthen the necessary foundations of knowledge and solve current and future sustainability challenges.
Cross-border external engagement
We work actively to create new collective meeting-places and to strengthen initiatives that already exist between academia and the wider society within the field of sustainability.
Would you like to collaborate with us, or are you looking for more information about our approach to sustainability matters? Please contact our Sustainability Forum, which coordinates sustainability issues at the University.
Sustainability at the University
Lund University is committed to being a good, safe, secure and accessible place to work, as well as a resource-efficient organisation, with a minimised climate and environmental impact. We work continuously and systematically according to policies and plans to create a sustainable place to work and study. It should be easy for our staff and students to make sustainable choices during their time here.
Sustainability strategy and sustainability plan
The University has a long-term sustainability strategy, a sustainability plan, and other policy documents that affect all our organisations, staff and students.
Pro vice-chancellor for research, sustainability and campus development
per [dot] mickwitz [at] rektor [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone: +46 46-222 38 80
cerina [dot] wittbom [at] cec [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone: +46 722-16 86 26
Centres and networks
We work broadly across many aspects of sustainability. Read about our different organisations on their websites:
- Biodiversity and ecosystem services (BECC)
- Centre for Environmental and Climate Science (CEC)
- Sustainable Production Initiative (SPI)
- Initiative for social resilience research
- International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE)
- ModElling the Regional and Global Earth system (MERGE)
- Lund Institute for Sustainability Impact
- Lund University Centre for Sustainability Studies (LUCSUS)
- Society for Critical Studies of Crisis (SCSC)
- Sustainable Future Hub
We have four postgraduate schools that focus on sustainability. Read about them on their websites:
We collaborate with organisations outside academia within the field of sustainability. Learn more on the following websites: