Study at Lund University
When you study with us, you get an internationally recognised education. Lund University is ranked among the best universities in the world for the overall quality of our education and research, international outlook, employability and sustainability.
A world-class university with a rich tradition
Founded in 1666, Lund University is one of the oldest and most comprehensive universities in northern Europe. It is a non-profit, public university with
- 3 campuses in Lund, Malmö and Helsingborg
- 9 faculties representing a wide range of subject areas
- 45,000 students
- a top 100 ranking in various world rankings
- rank 1 among Swedish comprehensive universities.
A truly international environment and outlook
As a student at Lund, you will study at one of the most international universities in Europe and the world. The University
- is the number 1 choice for international students in Sweden
- attracts students from more than 130 countries
- has 60% international students on Master's programmes
- offers over 140 international degree programmes in various subject areas
- is ranked 61st in Times Higher Education's Most International Universities Rankings.
The global classrooms and opportunities available at the University will allow you to broaden your horizons and develop a valuable international network. This, in turn, will help you progress in your life and career.
At the same time, the Greater Copenhagen Region, of which our campuses are a part, is home to an impressive range of international companies and organisations. This creates excellent opportunities for interaction with business and industry.
These are some of the reasons why we are highly ranked for the employability of our graduates.
The University has a very active approach to the global issue of sustainability and we are currently ranked 12th in the world in this area.
Why our students chose us
Vibrant student life
Lund is known for its active and unique student scene. It is considered by many to be the best student city in Sweden.
At the heart of student life at Lund University are the traditional student nations (social clubs), the Academic Society, and many different student organisations and unions that organise events and activities throughout the year.
As a student in Lund, you can experience the rich history of a medieval Swedish university town while being part of a dynamic and international atmosphere. Our campuses in Malmö and Helsingborg are exciting in their own way, both being part of larger seaside cities with their own range of opportunities for students.
Lund is only 10 minutes away from Malmö, Sweden's third largest city, about 35 minutes from Copenhagen International Airport and 50 minutes from the centre of Copenhagen. At the same time, beautiful and varied nature is also close by.
In short, there are plenty of opportunities to create your own experiences and travel.
Check out our Instagram account where you can see student life through the eyes of a new student every week, read the latest student blogs or listen to Lund University's international podcast where our students share their experiences:
- Lund University on Instagram
- Student blogs from current student ambassadors (click on 'Content' in the widget on this page)
- Lund University International Podcast
You can also explore our campuses by taking a virtual tour, or read more about what it's like to study at Lund University:
In terms of the student life and the city, it's quite magical for me.
Gizem, MSc in Sustainable
Living and studying in Sweden
You are not only choosing a university to study at, you are also choosing a country to live in. And why should you choose to live in Sweden?
- one of the best countries in the world for higher education, according to various rankings
- one of the best countries in the world for English as a second language, with 90% of the population speaking English. This means there are no language barriers to your unique experience
- one of the safest countries in the world, making it a great place to live
- a country with an environmentally conscious culture
- a creative, innovative country with one of the highest levels of gender equality in the world.
Also check out these two useful national websites about studying and living in Sweden:
Excellence in research and innovation
The breadth of the University creates excellent conditions for interdisciplinary research and teaching, which are closely interwoven.
The University is an active member of prestigious international research networks such as the League of European Research Universities (LERU) and Universitas 21 (U21). As a student, this gives you access to exciting international opportunities.
Lund University is home to several advanced research environments, including two of Europe's largest multidisciplinary research facilities: MAX IV and the European Spallation Source (ESS).
The University is an active part of an extensive innovation ecosystem, the Lund Innovation District, which includes MAX IV, ESS, two science parks, a science village, the university hospital and a large number of companies, scale-ups and start-ups. These parties work together to create innovations in several areas, including life, material and energy sciences. This opens up a wide range of collaboration and career opportunities for our students and staff. We also offer both students and staff access to valuable innovation support services (such as coaching, incubators and funding opportunities).
All this has led – and, with the efforts of our students and staff, will continue to lead – to ground-breaking research results and innovations that make a difference every day.
Our study opportunities
We offer study opportunities at the Bachelor's, Master's and doctoral level, as well as exchange studies, Swedish language studies, professional education and distance learning: