Sport and exercise
There are many opportunities for students to keep fit or take part in sports. In Lund, Malmö and Helsingborg, the student nations, student associations, local sports clubs and municipal sports facilities offer a range of sports and exercise activities.
Classes and gyms at Gerdahallen
Gerdahallen is one of the largest sports centres in Northern Europe. As Gerdahallen is a part of Lund University, it offers reduced prices for Lund University students. Gerdahallen has two facilities, one located in Lund and one located in Helsingborg.
Gerdahallen Lund offers around 200 different classes each week, including Pilates, yoga, high-intensity training (HIT), BodyPump, spinning, dance, and functional training. Classes run from early morning to evening.
If you prefer to work out in the gym, Gerdahallen Lund has a well-equipped and newly renovated 1450 m2 gym area, which is open 24 hours a day. In the gym you will find both cardio machines, barbells, free weights, exercise machines and some special equipment.
You can also book an appointment with a personal trainer or physiotherapist.
Gerdahallen Helsingborg opened in January 2022 and offers both group training and a fitness area. Gerdahallen Helsingborg offers classes such as high-intensity training (HIT), virtual spinning, and station-based strength training. The 500 km2 gym area is well equipped with both free weights, barbells, cardio machines, and exercise equipment.
You can also book an appointment with a personal trainer.
Sports courts and gym at Victoriastadion
Victoriastadion in Lund offers a gym with reduced student rates as well as facilities and courts for tennis, squash, badminton, indoor handball, floorball, football, basketball and volleyball.
Student sports teams
Many of the student nations and other student associations run various sports teams, such as football and volleyball. There are also a number of student sports associations that offer extreme sports, horse riding and fencing, for example. In Helsingborg, the student association Stampus offers volleyball, basketball, football and floorball.
Sports clubs and group exercise
There are a number of local sports clubs, which are generally organised on a voluntary basis and are not affiliated with Lund University.
Below is a selection of clubs located in Lund and Malmö with links to their websites or Facebook pages. Please note that some of them only have Swedish content, but that they welcome international student members.
- Dance, Afrodance with IYOJA
- Dance, Salsa Sabrosa dance studio
- Dance, Folk dance with Lunds studenters folkdanslag (in Swedish)
- Dance, Dance classes with the Faculty of Engineering students' union (in Swedish)
- Fitness and group exercise, Friskis&Svettis (in Swedish)
- Fitness and group exercise, Gerdahallen website
Free outdoor circuit training group
VästerGympa is a free, social outdoor circuit training group with local Swedes and expats living in Lund. Besides English and Swedish, several other languages are also spoken. No experience is needed. The group meets in front of the small supermarket at Örnvägen 62 in Lund on Tuesday and Sunday mornings at 10:00 and on Wednesday evenings at 19:00. The sports sessions last one hour.
- Badminton, squash and tennis, TL Lund Tennis Club website (in Swedish)
- Baseball, Malmö Pilots (in Swedish)
- Basketball, EOS Lund (in Swedish)
- Cricket, Lund Cricket Club
- Cricket, Malmöhus Cricket Club
- Football, Lund SK
- Football, Lunds BoIS (in Swedish)
- Football, Lunds BK (in Swedish)
- Handball, LUGI Handboll
- Netball, Skåne Netball Club (website)
- Rugby, LUGI Lions Rugby Club
- Volleyball, Lunds VK
- Ultimate Frisbee, Akka Ultimate Club
All of our campus locations have a number of jogging and cycling tracks, large open spaces and attractive parks where you can walk, run, cycle or just relax. In Malmö and Helsingborg you are also close to the sea.
- Lund, sports and outdoor activities – lund.se (in Swedish)
- Malmö, sports and outdoor activities – malmo.se (in Swedish)
- Helsingborg, sports and outdoor activities – helsingborg.se (in Swedish)
- Outdoors and adventure in Skåne – visistskane.com
- Discover Skåneleden, a hiking trail through Skåne – skaneleden.se