The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.


As an international student, you may need to access healthcare in Sweden at some point during your studies. Find out where to go and what you need to do if you need healthcare.

Shortcuts to page content:

Access to general healthcare – health centres

To see a doctor or nurse for a non-urgent medical problem, contact a public or private health centre ('vårdcentral') in Lund, Malmö or Helsingborg (or another municipality where you live).

It's up to you which local health centre you choose. Use the link below to find your nearest health centre.

Health centre options and contact details on the Region Skåne website (in Swedish, explanation below*)

*If you want to see the results for a specific municipality, for example Lund, you can type in the name of that municipality in the first search field, 'Var vill du söka?' and click on 'Sök'.

You can also contact the International Desk if you need help finding a health centre.

Health centers are open daytime during weekdays for guidance, advice and visits. Some are also open in the early evenings. You can book an appointment by calling the reception. You will usually hear a voice in Swedish first, followed by a voice in English, saying "for English, press X", or similar. In some cases, you may be instructed to leave your phone number on the health centre's voicemail and they will call you back. Medical staff usually speak good English.

After your appointment, the health centre can refer you to a specialist if necessary. Note that waiting times for specialist consultations can vary depending on a number of factors.

Always bring your identity card with you when you visit a health centre. If you're a student from the EU/EEA, you should also bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Out-of-hours help

See below for more information on how to get medical advice when your health centre is closed. 

If you need a doctor in your municipality after 17:00 or during the weekend, you can call the following out-of-hours clinics depending on where you live: 

  • Lund, telephone: +46 (0)771 625 000
  • Malmö, telephone: +46 (0)771 890 911
  • Helsingborg, telephone: +46 (0)424 068 030

You can also call the free 1177 Healthcare Advice Line ('1177 Vårdguiden'), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Call 1177 (+46 771 1177 00 if you're using a foreign phone number) to get:

  • medical advice from a registered nurse
  • advice on how to take care of yourself
  • information on where you can go if your condition calls for care by a physician. 


For emergencies or life-threatening situations – dial 112.

It is also possible to go to the emergency department at a hospital directly, 24 hours a day.

The emergency department is called 'Akutmottagningen' or 'Akuten' in Swedish.

The hospital is called 'sjukhuset', 'universitetssjukhuset' or 'lasarettet' in Swedish.

  • Universitetssjukhuset Lund. Address: Klinikgatan 15, Lund
  • Universitetssjukhuset Malmö. Address: Ruth Lundskogs gata 5, Malmö
  • Lasarett Helsingborg. Address: Karolina Widerströms gata 12, Helsingborg

If you are experiencing acute psychological distress, such as thoughts about taking your life or harming yourself or others, we recommend that you contact your closest emergency psychiatric clinic.

  • Lund, telephone: +46 (0)46 17 41 00. The clinic is at Baravägen 1, Lund. 
  • Malmö, telephone: +46 (0)40 33 80 00. The clinic is at Carl-Bertil Laurells gata 7, first floor.
  • Helsingborg, telephone: +46 (0)42 406 27 30. The clinic is at Karolina Widerströms gata 10.

Access to medicines and health products

Certain painkillers and over-the-counter medicines are available from most grocery stores.

However, you should visit a pharmacy for 

  • a wider range of medicines and health products
  • your prescribed medicines, or
  • advice on minor health problems.

Pharmacies stock most types of medicines and health care products. The Swedish word for pharmacy is 'apotek'. To find the nearest pharmacy, search for 'apotek' using a map tool or browser.

Sexual health, identity and contraception

If you have questions or concerns about sexual health and/or gender identity, or need information about pregnancy testing or contraception, see below:

Sexual health and identity

The Student Health Centre 

You can contact the Student Health Centre if you feel stressed or low, have trouble sleeping or are having difficulty adjusting to life in Sweden. Problems could also be related to your drinking or gambling habits, feelings of anxiety or anything else that affects your mental wellbeing and is related to your study situation.

The Student Health Centre works with counsellors, nurses, psychologists and psychiatrists who are bound by confidentiality. Their services are free of charge.

Their webpages offer tips and advice on how to deal with such problems. You can also book individual counselling sessions and take part in courses, lectures and support groups. In addition, the Student Health Centre can refer you to a number of external parties that offer counselling services that may be relevant to you and your situation.

The Student Health Centre

The Swedish healthcare system

Healthcare in Sweden is largely subsidised by the government, but it's not entirely for free for citizens and residents. The quality of healthcare is generally high.

The Swedish healthcare system is decentralised and there are both public and private healthcare providers. Both types have to comply with the same regulations.

More about the Swedish healthcare system – National Board of Health and Welfare website