The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Coming with family

If you have been accepted to Bachelor's or Master's studies at Lund University and are planning to bring a spouse, partner and/or children with you to Sweden, there are a few important things for you to consider as a part of your planning.

A father lifting up his child while the mum is watching them smiling

Admitted students with families are welcome to Lund University, however please note that the University does not offer any services to partners or children of students. The information below is intended as a starting point and a guide for admitted students who are planning to bring their family with them when moving to Sweden for their studies. Please contact the relevant authorities and service providers in good time before your arrival to ensure a smooth relocation process for yourself and your family.

Page navigation

Housing for couples and families

International students starting Bachelor's or Master's studies at Lund University have the possibility to apply for student accommodation through LU Accommodation, as well as other student accommodation providers. However, this does not apply to students who are bringing their family, as LU Accommodation and other student accommodation providers generally do not offer family housing. If you are coming with a spouse or partner and you are both admitted to studies at Lund University, you can apply to live together in a shared apartment, but if your partner is not a Lund University student or if you are also bringing children with you, you will not be able to live in any student accommodation.

We recommend that you search for housing at or post your own advertisement on that website. BoPoolen is a student accommodation service run by the Lund University Student Unions’ Association. BoPoolen also provides an extensive list of other housing providers in the region whom you can contact to find more accommodation options for your family.

Please start your search for accommodation in good time, as it is very difficult to find housing in and around Lund at the start of the study semesters.

Insurance and Swedish personal numbers

Students who are admitted to Bachelor's or Master's studies at Lund University are covered by a health insurance provided by the Swedish government. However, if you are bringing a partner or children with you to Sweden, it is your responsibility to make sure that they have the necessary health insurance. The insurance options work slightly differently depending on whether you are admitted to studies lasting longer than one year or less than one year.

If you are admitted to studies that will last more than 12 months, such as a two-year Master's programme or a three-year Bachelor's programme, you can apply for a Swedish "Personal Number" at the Swedish Tax Office once you have arrived, registered for your studies and have an address in Sweden. A Swedish personal number is an identification number and once you have this number you are registered in the population register and have the same rights and responsibilities as other long-term residents in Sweden. The personal number is used in contacts with Swedish authorities, banks, health care centres and more. If your partner and/or children are moving with you to Sweden, they can normally also register for personal numbers. This means that you and your family members will be a part of the social insurance system in Sweden and can use this identity number when visiting a doctor.

Please note though, that it can take a few weeks until you receive your personal numbers and therefore, we recommend that you have sufficient travel insurance when travelling to Sweden and for the first few weeks of your stay.

In addition to having your personal numbers and being a part of the Swedish health care system, it is important to look into any other insurance cover that you may need, such as property insurance, extra insurance for children, car insurance, etc.

If you are admitted to studies at Lund University that will last a shorter time period than 12 months, you will not be able to register for a Swedish personal number. As a Lund University student, you will have the insurance that the University provides for you through the Swedish government. However, your family members will need to get private insurance before coming to Sweden.

As the personal number is widely used in Sweden for administrative tasks, such as opening bank accounts, registering for different services and for contacts with Swedish authorities, it is important to be aware that it can sometimes be more complicated to complete these tasks without a personal number. Individuals living in Sweden who do not have a personal number, may instead be able to receive a coordination number. This is necessary, for example, to work in Sweden and pay your taxes.

About personal numbers and coordination number at the Swedish Tax Office website

Pre-school and school

If you are bringing children with you to Sweden, it is important for you to look into and apply in good time for day care/pre-school and/or school for your children.

If you will be bringing young children with you in need of daycare services/preschool, you should register with the City of Lund as soon as possible. If you want your child to have a place in a pre-school in August, you should ideally apply for a place already before the last day of February the same year. It is possible to apply before you have received admission to Lund University and before you have your Swedish personal number. If you will be living in Lund, you are guaranteed to receive a place at a preschool within three months. To apply, you will need to fill in a form and follow the instructions presented on the Lund Municipality website listed below.

In Sweden, school is compulsory for children from first grade (age 6) to ninth grade (age 15–16) and the municipality in which you live is obligated to offer a place in a school for your child. There are international schools available in Lund and Malmö and you can contact the school that you are interested in directly to inquire if they have any places for your child/children. It is not necessary to have a Swedish personal number to be offered a place in a school.

After ninth grade, children can apply to an upper secondary school. There are several international upper secondary schools available in the region, offering international programmes in other languages than Swedish (such as IB-programmes). There are both public and private schools available in Lund and the region.

Links to international schools in the region at the International Citizen Hub website

Residence permits for family members

If you are a non-EU/EEA citizen coming to Sweden to study for a time period that is longer than three months, you must apply for and receive a residence permit before travelling to Sweden. When you apply for your permit, you can also apply for a permit for family members who will be moving with you to Sweden. You can find information on the Swedish Migration Agency website on how to apply for a residence permit for yourself and your family members. Note that the co-applicant's permit will be connected to your permit and your study period in Sweden. 

About residence permits for family members of students on the Swedish Migrations Agency website

If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you do not generally need a residence permit to study in Sweden. However, if you are studying for a time period of at least 12 months, you and your family members should register at the Swedish Tax Office. You will find useful information on the Swedish Tax Office website about important documents for you to bring and how to register.

Information regarding registering in the Swedish Population Register on the Swedish Tax Office website