Visit Lund University
Lund University is mainly based in the city of Lund, close to Malmö (Sweden's third largest city) in the south of Sweden. This part of Sweden is very close to Copenhagen in Denmark. The main campus buildings of Lund University are located in the centre of Lund and are an approximate 5–10 minutes' walk from the Lund railway station.
There are several different ways to travel to Lund. A number of these are listed below.
Shortcuts to page contents:
- Copenhagen Airport – the closest international airport to Lund
- Malmö Airport
- Trains from Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm and Gothenburg
- Bus/coach services from key cities in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway
- Car and passenger ferries from Germany, Poland and Denmark
- Travelling between Malmö and Lund
The closest international airport to Lund is Copenhagen Airport (also known as 'Kastrup'), in Denmark. The journey time by train from the airport to Lund is about 35 minutes. The journey takes you over the Öresund Bridge connecting Denmark to Sweden and via Malmö central station.
Train tickets can be purchased from the Skånetrafiken ticket machines in the arrivals hall at Copenhagen Airport, near the escalators going down to the train platform. You can pay using a debit/credit card, and if you buy a ticket all the way to Lund, the ticket will be valid even if you need to change trains at Malmö central station. You can also use the Danish DSB ticket machines when travelling with Skånetrafiken. A DSB ticket will be slightly more expensive, however.
Please note that there may be a passport control at the first stop (Hyllie) on the Swedish side. Make sure to always bring a valid passport or ID-card when travelling between Denmark and Sweden.
- Watch on YouTube: How to get from Copenhagen Airport to Lund
- Find flights and flight information on the Copenhagen Airport website
- Find travel information on the Skånetrafiken website
The closest local airport to Lund is Malmö Sturup. It has some international flights from destinations within Europe and flights from other Swedish airports, including Stockholm. There are bus connections between Lund and Malmö Sturup airport (Flygbuss) or you can get a taxi to Lund.
- Visit the Malmö Sturup website
- Go to Flygbussarna's website for information about the airport bus to and from Malmö Sturup airport
Lund is located on the main railway line from Malmö to several different destinations such as Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm and Gothenburg (Göteborg in Swedish).
The travel time from Stockholm is about 4 hours on the express train 'X2000' or 6–7 hours on 'Intercity' trains. Gothenburg is approximately 250 km north of Lund. There are regular trains between Gothenburg and Lund. The journey time is approximately 3 hours.
To book tickets or find out more about destinations and travel times, please visit the following train operators' websites:
Bus/coach services are available from a number of cities, for instance Hamburg, Copenhagen, Gothenburg and Oslo, with direct lines to Malmö or Lund. Travelling to Copenhagen and searching for a connecting bus/coach or train to Lund will increase the options.
Find departure cities and schedules for some bigger bus/coach services below:
- FlixBus website (to Lund, Malmö and Copenhagen)
- Vy Bus4You website (to Lund, Malmö and Copenhagen)
- Eurolines website (to Copenhagen)
There are car and passenger ferry connections to southern Sweden from Germany, Poland and Denmark.
- TT-line website (ferry between Germany, Poland and Sweden)
- StenaLine (ferry between Germany, Denmark and Sweden, in Swedish)
- Polferries website (ferry between Poland and Sweden)
- ForSea website (ferry between Denmark and Helsingborg, Sweden)
- Finnlines (ferry between Germany and Malmö, Sweden)
Travelling to Denmark from Germany by ferry and driving on to Sweden is another option. To travel by car over the Öresund Bridge from Denmark there is a toll. Lund is conveniently reached from the main roads E6 and E22.
- Scandlines (ferry between Germany and Denmark)
- Find out more about the tolls on the Öresund Bridge website
It takes approximately 10–15 minutes to travel between the Malmö central station and Lund by local commuter trains – 'Pågatåg' or 'Öresundståg'. Schedules for both train types can be found on the Skånetrafiken website.
These trains depart approximately 4–6 times per hour on weekdays, with a less frequent service at the weekends and in the evenings.
Tickets are available from the ticket machines at the stations (debit/credit card only). You can also make your purchase at a ticket office.
If you will commute regularly, the easiest way to buy tickets is with the Skånetrafiken app. You can choose between several different ticket types, including single tickets, 24-hour tickets and 30-day tickets, in the app. Alternatively, you can buy a physical travel card from the ticket office or on the Skånetrafiken website. You can connect tickets to this card on the Skånetrafiken website or at the ticket machines.
From Malmö to Lund by taxi, the cost is approximately SEK 350. The trip takes approximately 20 minutes. Taxis normally accept all major credit cards.