Collaboration in Africa
Lund University collaborates and cooperates with top universities all over the world through international networks, programmes and platforms.
Global Dynamic Engagement (GDE) is Lund University's approach to enhance our international impact in research, education, innovation and cooperation. In this work, democracy, human rights, academic freedom, and accountability are core values.
Through GDE, we aim to strengthen and develop our collaborations in Africa. Our priority activities here are outlined in an annual roadmap.
Lund University collaborates with partners in Africa within the following areas:
- learning and education
- commissioned education, and
- student mobility – exchange semesters, courses and internships.
Cooperation exists in more than 40 African countries and is most extensive in South Africa.
University-wide, bilateral student exchange agreements exist between Lund University and several South African universities. The links below are to these universities' own websites:
South Africa Sweden University Forum (SASUF 2030)
SASUF 2030 is a collaborative project between 13 Swedish and 26 South African universities, running from 2021 to 2024.
The project aims to increase academic collaboration in six thematic areas:
- Climate change, natural resources and sustainability
- Education or a sustainable society
- Social transformation through change: Knowledge and social development strategies
- Health – Understanding the burden of disease in Sweden and South Africa
- Sustainable urbanisation, travel and tourism in the 21st Century
- Digital technologies, big data and cybersecurity
The SASUF Research and Innovation Week will take place from 13 to 17 May 2024. Lund University hosts the week together with Malmö University and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Campus Alnarp.
Southern African–Nordic Centre (SANORD)
SANORD is a member organisation consisting of universities in the Nordic region and southern Africa.
The aim of the network is to facilitate, expand and strengthen collaboration and contact between higher education institutions in southern Africa and the Nordic region.
This is achieved through, among other things:
- an annual conference
- funding of mobility for Master's students from southern Africa, and
- so-called 'seed-funding' for research collaboration.
The 2023 conference will be held in Norway on 20 to 22 September. The 2024 conference will be held in South Africa in November.
SANORD is coordinated by the secretariat at the University of the Western Cape, South Africa.
Lund University is a member of SANORD's Board in 2022 and 2023.
The network was formed in 2007 and has member universities in southern Africa and the Nordic region.