The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Alcohol and other drugs – guidelines and support

Lund University strives to provide a work environment for students and staff that is free from risky or harmful use. If you engage in risky or harmful use of, for example, alcohol or other drugs, help and support is available.

Swedish laws and cultural norms regarding alcohol and drugs

Students should be aware that tobacco and alcohol are the only legal drugs in Sweden if you are of legal age to consume them. All other drugs are illegal.

Also note that drug culture is not widespread or common in Sweden. Many Swedes have never tried drugs other than tobacco and alcohol, and attitudes towards other drugs are stricter than you may be used to.

Being found in possession of or under the influence of drugs such as, for example, marijuana, hashish, cocaine, or mushrooms is a criminal offence and can have serious consequences. This applies both during and outside of school hours.

It is also illegal to sell alcohol without a proper licence.

Drink-driving or drunk driving, i.e. driving with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit of 0.02 per cent, is also a criminal offence in Sweden. If you are stopped and the breathalyser indicates an alcohol level close to the legal limit, the police will probably take you to the police station for a blood test.

Drunk driving –

A designated driver is recommended. You can also take a taxi, bus, train, cycle (if safe) or walk home.

Lund University's guidelines and procedures regarding risky and harmful use

Lund University has a zero-tolerance policy towards all unauthorised and illegal handling and use of drugs by staff and students. This is summarised in the university decision 'Guidelines regarding risky and harmful substance use at Lund University'. All staff and students at Lund University have a responsibility to follow these guidelines.

Below you can find out what is meant by risky and harmful use:

Risky use: For example, using alcohol or participating in gambling or gaming in a way that may have negative consequences for health or wellbeing. And which, if continued over time, risks developing into harmful use or addiction.

Harmful use: For example, using alcohol, drugs or participating in gambling or gaming in a way that leads to concrete negative effects on physical, psychological or social health or wellbeing. Harmful use of alcohol, drugs or gambling can lead to health problems, relationship problems, financial difficulties and other negative consequences that affect quality of life and wellbeing.

If a head of department or equivalent at the University is concerned about a student's health, they may propose a conversation with the student in question.

Students' responsibility

As a student at Lund University, you are not permitted to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs in class or other study-related situations, such as

  • assessments
  • field studies
  • group work
  • internship
  • laboratory sessions
  • lectures
  • seminars
  • supervision
  • work placements as part of a course
  • other activities within the framework of the course or programme.

The use of alcohol, other drugs or any other risky or harmful use outside your studies must not affect security and wellbeing in study or teaching situations. 

If you are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs in teaching or other study-related situations, teaching staff or other relevant university staff have the right to send you home immediately. This might also be seen as a disciplinary offence that could lead to a warning or exclusion.

You can read more about disciplinary offences on the page below.

Cheating, disruption and harassment

If you have concerns about yourself or a classmate

If you feel you have an issue with risky or harmful use, you can get help and support from the Student Health Centre. 

You can also turn to your student health and safety representative, student union or the Student Ombudsman. The same applies if you have concerns about a classmate. 

There may be other support available within your department or faculty. Contact a member of staff with responsibility for education to find out what support may be available.

If you have concerns about a member of staff

If you are concerned that a member of staff at Lund University may have an issue with risky or harmful use, you can contact 

  • the head of your department
  • another member of staff with responsibility for your course or programme, or 
  • your student health and safety representative.

Contact information

For general questions about the students' work environment:

Marie Gruvhammar
Work environment coordinator
+46 (0)46 222 03 42
marie [dot] gruvhammar [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se (marie[dot]gruvhammar[at]stu[dot]lu[dot]se)

Student health and safety representatives
List of student health and safety representatives

Lund University Student Unions
Contact details for student unions

Lund University Student Ombudsman
Email: studentombud [at] lus [dot] lu [dot] se (studentombud[at]lus[dot]lu[dot]se)
Student Ombudsman’s website