The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Swedish language studies

Lund University offers different options for students interested in studying the Swedish language.

Swedish flag by Caroline Romare
Carolina Romare/

Study Abroad Swedish Course Package

The Study Abroad Swedish Course Package is designed for those who are interested in developing a profound knowledge of the Swedish language and who are seeking a unique Scandinavian 'study abroad' experience. We offer a full-time, two-semester package (Levels 1–8).

To be eligible to apply, applicants must have completed their upper secondary school and have English language proficiency equivalent to English 6/English course B (IELTS 6.5 with no section less than 5.5, or TOEFL 90). 

Degree programmes specialised in Swedish/Scandinavian languages

We offer two Master's degree programmes focused on Swedish/Scandinavian languages, for students who already have a profound knowledge of the language:

To be eligible, students must already have a Bachelor's degree in Swedish language/Scandinavian language and also meet English language proficiency of 'English 6/English course B' (IELTS 6.5 with no section less than 5.5, or TOEFL 90). Refer to the programme links above for full admission requirements and the application process. 

Learning Swedish alongside your degree or courses

As a student at Lund University, you have several options when it comes to learning Swedish during your time on campus. These range from special introductory Swedish language classes, Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) courses and Swedish language nights for international students.

Options for learning Swedish for current students

Taking a degree or course taught in Swedish

If you would like to apply for a course or programme taught in Swedish at Lund University, you must meet the eligibility requirements for Swedish. Your level of Swedish must be equivalent to Svenska B/Svenska 3 at the Swedish upper secondary school (‘gymnasium’), which corresponds to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR). There are two ways in which you can prove your eligibility: