Swedish language studies
Lund University offers different options for students interested in studying the Swedish language.
Study Abroad Swedish language programmes
The Study Abroad Swedish Language programme is designed for those who are interested in developing a profound knowledge of the Swedish language and who are seeking a unique Scandinavian 'study abroad' experience. There are two full-time options:
- A one-semester programme for beginners (levels 1–4) or advanced learners (levels 5–8)
- A two-semester programme (levels 1–8)
To be eligible to apply, applicants must have completed their upper secondary school and have English language proficiency equivalent to English 6/English course B (IELTS 6.5 with no section less than 5.5, or TOEFL 90).
- Read more about the Study Abroad Swedish language programmes
- Read more about the English language requirements
Degree programmes specialised in Swedish/Scandinavian languages
We offer two Master's degree programmes focused on Swedish/Scandinavian languages, for students who already have a profound knowledge of the language:
- Master's in Language and Literature, Swedish/Scandinavian languages
- Master's in Literature – Culture – Media, Scandinavian Studies
To be eligible, students must already have a Bachelor's degree in Swedish language/Scandinavian language and also meet English language proficiency of 'English 6/English course B' (IELTS 6.5 with no section less than 5.5, or TOEFL 90). Refer to the programme links above for full admission requirements and the application process.
Learning Swedish alongside your degree or courses
As a student at Lund University, you have several options when it comes to learning Swedish during your time on campus. These range from special introductory Swedish language classes, Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) courses and Swedish language nights for international students.
Taking a degree or course taught in Swedish
If you would like to apply for a course or programme taught in Swedish at Lund University, you must meet the eligibility requirements for Swedish. Your level of Swedish must be equivalent to Svenska B/Svenska 3 at the Swedish upper secondary school (‘gymnasium’), which corresponds to level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages (CEFR). There are two ways in which you can prove your eligibility:
- By passing the Tisus (Test in Swedish for University Studies) that takes place twice a year in Lund and at five other higher education institutes in Sweden (as well as in 60 more places around the world)
- By successfully completing level 8 of the Study Abroad Swedish Language programme
- Read more about taking the Tisus in Lund on lu.se (information in Swedish)
- Read more about taking the Tisus abroad on the Stockholm University website
- Read more about the Swedish language requirements at Lund University
- Find courses and programmes taught in Swedish on our Swedish website
Interested in studies taught in Swedish?
Learn what is required for an international student to study courses and programmes taught in Swedish at LU.