Arts, music, film, museums, and more
Lund University has a wide range of student associations that organise different groups for music, choir, drama, ‘spex’ comedy theatre, politics, and more. Whatever your musical, theatrical or other interests are, there is probably a student association for you!
New students can find out more about the different associations and clubs at the Student Association Fair and the Lund Information Fair, which take place during the Orientation Weeks.
University cultural and public centres
The University's cultural and public centres include music activities, libraries, discovery centres and botanical gardens. In addition, Lund University boasts several museums and collections as well as the Faculty of Performing Arts' Malmö Art Academy, Malmö Academy of Music and Malmö Theatre Academy. These cultural centres and academies regularly arrange concerts, public lectures and special exhibitions as well as provide a meeting place for students.
The University is also home to a number of historical and cultural highlights, located around the Lund campus.
- Lund University cultural and public centres
- Lund University museums and collections
- Malmö Art Academy
- Malmö Academy of Music
- Malmö Theatre Academy
- Campus highlights
Other cultural activities in Lund
- Kulturen is a cultural-historical museum that tells the story of Swedish life from the Middle Ages to the 1930s. It offers 20 exhibitions, among which a new permanent one about the city of Lund, and the museum has an impressive open air part where historic buildings and beautiful gardens are on display.
- Mejeriet is a music and cultural venue in Lund that offers music concerts with well-known local and international artists, clubs, film nights (including outdoor screenings in summer), Doc Lounge (where modern documentaries are shown), poetry nights and more.
- Lunds Konsthall is an art gallery that exhibits international contemporary art. The gallery mounts four different exhibitions every year.
- Cinemas in Lund include Filmstaden, Kino (independent films) and Folkets Bio (at Mejeriet).
- Theatres in Lund include Lunds Stadsteater, Månteatern and Lilla teatern.
More information and websites:
- Mejeriet (in Swedish)
- Lunds Konsthall
- Lunds Stadsteater – lund.se (in Swedish)
- Månteatern (in Swedish)
- Lilla teatern (in Swedish)
Cultural activities in Malmö
Around the Möllevången area, or ‘Möllan’ as it is known to the locals, you will find many popular clubs and music venues. By Folkets Park is Debaser, where a wide variety of concerts and clubs are held, and Moriska Paviljongen, where you can dance or listen to live music. At the Carib Kréol, you can dance to Salsa music and Latin American rhythms.
If you are looking for a place with modern club music, Babel may be the club for you and if you prefer rock music, Kulturbolaget (KB) has concerts with local/national as well as international artists (including DJs).
Opera, musicals and theatre
Visit the websites of Malmö Opera and Malmö Theatre to learn about their performances.
Art collections and museums
Moderna Museet, Malmö has a great collection of modern and contemporary art. Malmö konsthall is one of Europe's largest exhibition halls for contemporary art.
The exhibitions at Malmö museer focus on history, nature, technology and shipping; you can visit Scandinavia’s oldest surviving Renaissance castle, see a submarine and much more.
Cultural activities in Helsingborg
Cultural centre, concerts and theatre
Helsingborg has southern Sweden’s largest cultural centre, Dunkers, with art galleries, special exhibitions, local history exhibitions, international music, theatre, dance, cultural activities and activities for children. The Helsingborg tourist information centre is located inside Dunkers.
Close to Dunkers you will find Helsingborg Concert Hall and Helsingborg Theatre. The Tivoli music venue hosts concerts of all genres, stand-up comedy and the battle of the bands. Sofiero (palace and gardens) holds large outdoor concerts with national and international musicians in the summer.
Visit the websites to learn more:
Filmstaden is the main cinema in Helsingborg. Röda Kvarn screens films and broadcasts live operas, concerts, theatres and ballet performances from around the globe.
Helsingborgsspexet is the Helsingborg-based student comedy theatre group.
Stämpus is the choir for the Helsingborg-based student organisation Stampus.
Cultural and tourist activities in the Skåne region
As an international student at Lund University, you also have the opportunity to visit and explore a range of historical and other cultural places of interest around southern Sweden and nearby Copenhagen.