The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Insurance while you are abroad

If the worst happens and you fall ill, get injured or are the victim of theft during your stay abroad, you can apply for compensation through the insurance from Kammarkollegiet (the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency), Student OUT.

Shortcuts to page contents:

About Student OUT insurance

Kammarkollegiet’s insurance, Student OUT, provides support in many different situations, for example if you need healthcare or are the victim of theft. You are covered by the policy if you travel abroad via Lund University for

  • exchange studies
  • a traineeship
  • fieldwork or data collection for a degree project

Insurance terms – an overview

The insurance is valid provided you receive credits and are enrolled in Ladok for the time you are abroad.

It is valid 24 hours a day in the country you are visiting and throughout the study/traineeship/fieldwork period, as well as two weeks before and two weeks after the end of the period. You are also covered by Student OUT during direct travel to and from your destination.

The insurance also covers weekends and holidays as long as you stay in your destination country and as long as your studies or traineeship continue after the holiday period.

For exchange studies, preparatory Orientation Weeks and examination periods are also covered.

Note that the insurance is limited if your stay abroad is in your home country. In such cases, only personal injury cover (provided the injury is directly related to your studies) and liability cover apply – see below.

Insurance scope

The insurance provides several types of cover – more information can be found about each type under the headings below:

Personal injury cover allows you to file a claim for compensation for

  • healthcare costs
  • loss of income
  • pain and suffering

if you are injured during an accident or are infected with a disease.

Student OUT covers emergency healthcare, which means care for symptoms that appear suddenly and for which you need medical attention within a few days. These could include stomach pains, fever or similar.

The insurance does not cover medical check-ups for symptoms or conditions that arose prior to travel. In the event of a sudden deterioration during your stay abroad, the insurance covers medical treatment until the condition has stabilised, but not further treatment, even if treatment of the illness then continues.

There is a limit on compensation for emergency dental care set at a maximum of SEK 3 000 per year.

Student OUT also covers repatriation to Sweden for serious illness, but only after the local doctor has made an assessment together with Falck Global Assistance.

Interruption cover can be used if you have to interrupt your studies or traineeship prematurely because a family member has been seriously injured or taken ill, or if you have suffered major property damage in Sweden.

The insurance covers your personal property. The deductible/excess (i.e. the amount of money that you are responsible for paying before the insurance will pay you for an expense) is SEK 1 500.

The insurance includes liability cover in the event that you become liable to pay compensation for damages.

For example, a landlord might demand compensation for damage to your accommodation while you were living there.

The insurance covers legal expenses if you are claiming compensation for damages from someone else.

Situations where Student OUT does not apply or has limited coverage

In certain situations, you are not covered. Below you will find some examples of these situations. Note that these are not comprehensive and that you should carefully check the full terms of the policy on Kammarkollegiet's website, see below.

The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs provides advice and information about security issues in other countries to Swedish citizens and residents who are planning to travel. If security is significantly impacted, the Ministry may issue advice against travel.

There are two different degrees of advice against travel that can be issued by the Ministry, which impact the validity of the Student OUT insurance.

  • When the Ministry for Foreign Affairs issues advice against all unnecessary travel to a country/region, Student OUT is still valid.
  • When the Ministry for Foreign Affairs issues advice against all travel to a country/region and this advice was in place on the first day of travel, Student OUT is not valid. However, if you started your journey before the advice was issued, the insurance will apply for a transitional period (maximum 30 days) to give you time to leave the country and return to Sweden.

What does our travel advice mean? – (in Swedish)

The insurance does not cover legal protection if you break the local laws of the country you are staying in.

Note that what may be considered a minor offence in Sweden may be a punishable offence in another country.

The insurance does not cover travel outside the country of your studies/traineeship/fieldwork.

(However, the insurance may be valid for direct travel from one country of study to another, provided that the journey is part of your studies and an agreement with the host organisation, or equivalent, exists.)

The insurance does not apply to private travel during your studies/traineeship/fieldwork. Nor does it cover travel to a country other than the one in which you are studying/interning/working.

Student OUT does not cover injuries sustained while travelling by motor vehicle. If you rent or borrow a motor vehicle during your stay abroad, you must always take out separate vehicle insurance.

For full terms and conditions, visit

It is important to read the full terms of the policy on Kammarkollegiet’s website:

Insurance during education abroad (Student OUT) –

Before you travel

If you are travelling within the EU

If you are a citizen of an EU country (including Sweden), you should bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

The card gives you access to healthcare at the same cost as the citizens of that country.

This also applies for healthcare and dental care that cannot wait until you get home. You pay the same as residents of the country.

You pay the patient fee yourself, and in some countries this may mean that you must first pay the full cost of care yourself and then claim reimbursement from the country’s social insurance agency or equivalent.

If you are travelling outside Europe

Some countries and universities outside Europe also require incoming exchange students to take out additional insurance through the host university. This is something you can try to waive. You will find information on what applies in your case in SoleMove.

If you are asked to take out additional insurance at the host university, you will usually also be told how to waive this requirement – that is, what conditions your own insurance needs to meet in order to be considered as providing equivalent cover.

You can send the information you receive from the host university to Kammarkollegiet, and they will help you clarify if any of the conditions apply to Student OUT.

Be aware that it is not always possible to waive the requirement to take out additional insurance.

Certificate of insurance

If you are an exchange student, you can print out an insurance certificate yourself in SoleMove – see the 'Enclosures' tab.

Log in to SoleMove

If you will be doing a traineeship or fieldwork, your insurance certificate will be provided by your coordinator.

We recommend you to print out a copy of your insurance certificate and give it to your relatives. If something happens to you and you need their help, they will find a brief summary of what is covered on the insurance certificate.

If something happens while you are abroad

If something happens to you during your trip, such as you fall ill, have an accident or are the victim of a crime, there are some steps you need to take in order to be able to use the Student OUT insurance. Here we have gathered advice on things to think about and what to do in different situations.

You can always contact your international coordinator at Lund University if you have questions about the Student OUT insurance. You can also contact the University’s student insurance advisor (see under 'Contact information').

If you need to seek medical care due to illness or injury:

  • Contact your host university – they can give you help and advice on most things. Follow their instructions.
  • Keep original receipts for any medical care received – these should be attached to your claim.
  • Make copies of original receipts and other relevant documents and keep them for your own records.
  • Inform you coordinator at Lund University and keep in regular contact with them.
  • Keep in contact with your relatives.
  • Make a claim (see below).

If you are the victim of physical violence, you must also report this immediately to the local police force and keep the police report.

How to make a claim

If you have had property stolen or are the victim of a robbery:

  • Report this immediately to the local police force and keep the police report.
  • Contact your host university – they can give you help and advice on most things. Follow their instructions.
  • Keep original documents – these should be attached to your claim.
  • Make copies of original police reports and other relevant documents and keep them for your own records.
  • Inform you coordinator at Lund University and keep in regular contact with them.
  • Keep in contact with your relatives.
  • Make an insurance claim

How to make a claim

Serious illness or injury

Should you suffer from a serious illness, need to be hospitalised or require other active assistance (for example, you need care that is anticipated to be very expensive), Falck Global Assistance should be contacted.

If you need to interrupt your stay abroad and go home early, they can help you rebook your ticket, and if you need medical care, they can help you find a doctor. You can find their contact details here on this page, on Kammarkollegiet’s website and on your insurance certificate.

Also bear in mind that you need to make an insurance claim.

How to make a claim

Repatriation in cases of serious illness or injury

Students covered by Student OUT can also receive emergency assistance in the form of repatriation via Falck Global Assistance.

It is always your local doctor together with Falck Global Assistance who decides whether you require repatriation.

For the insurance to be valid, the trip must be booked through Falck Global Assistance. Travel arranged by other means will not be reimbursed.


Falck Global Assistance
Telephone: +46 (0)8 58 77 17 49
Email: fga [at] se [dot] falck [dot] com (fga[at]se[dot]falck[dot]com)

In the event of serious incidents such as political unrest, natural disasters or epidemics, consider the following:

  • Keep up to date with the latest developments through local and international media.
  • Follow the advice and information given by local authorities.
  • Check current information from the Swedish authorities
    • Emergency information from Swedish authorities website (
    • Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website (
    • Embassies and consulates website (
  • Download the app 'UD Resklar' to receive travel information directly on your mobile phone. Make sure you activate push notifications for your host country.
  • Stay in touch with your family. 
  • Stay in touch with your coordinator at Lund University.
  • Find out which insurance conditions apply (Student OUT).
  • Find out what you need to know if you have student finance.
  • Contact your home country's embassy or consulate in the country if necessary.

If you have a Swedish citizenship, you should also register your contact details with 'Svensklistan' if you haven't already done so. In the event of a crisis, the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs, embassies and consulates can use this information to contact you. If you are not a Swedish citizen, check with your embassy to see if they have a similar service.

See the links below for more information:

How to make a claim

Download the claim form from the Student OUT page on Kammarkollegiet’s website.

Student OUT –

Fill in the form online or write clearly if you are writing by hand, paying particular attention to contact details and account numbers. Your coordinator at Lund University will sign the form and send it on to Kammarkollegiet. Note that it is always Kammarkollegiet's terms and conditions that govern, and that it is up to them to decide on the course of action in each individual case.

It usually takes about three weeks for a claim to be processed. You will be notified of the decision in an email from Kammarkollegiet.

If you have questions about making a claim, contact your coordinator or Kammarkollegiet directly:

Contact information for claims and insurance questions – (in Swedish)

Contact information

Ylva Sörhede, student insurance advisor

studentinsurance [at] er [dot] lu [dot] se (studentinsurance[at]er[dot]lu[dot]se)

The student insurance advisor can answer general questions about the Student OUT insurance.

If you need to make a claim, you should instead contact your coordinator.