Tuition fee refund policy
The following rules have been decided by Lund University and apply for refunding of tuition fees. All decisions regarding refunds are made by the Admissions Board.
We are experiencing a temporary technical issue causing some of our emails to end up in the spam folder of the recipients. If you have contacted us recently and not received a reply, please check your spam folder
Tuition fees paid to Lund University may be refunded in the following cases:
1. If there are special grounds which prevent the student from undertaking his or her studies. Special grounds are:
- If the student does not receive a Swedish residence permit. The admissions procedure is cancelled and the student has the right to receive a full refund of the amount paid, excluding bank/card charges.
- If the student has been conditionally admitted to a programme or course because he or she had not yet received a Bachelor's degree certificate at the time of application, but does not meet the requirement to hold a degree by the start of the semester, and is therefore not permitted to begin the programme, the student has the right to a full refund of the amount paid, excluding bank/card charges.
- If the programme syllabus and courses syllabi contain admission requirements for continuation to the next semester and the student does not meet the admission requirements, the tuition fees, excluding bank/card charges, may be refunded for the semester that the student is not permitted to begin.
- If Lund University retracts its offer of a study place or is unable to offer the programme concerned, the student has the right to a full refund.
- If an admitted student is granted permission to defer the start of his or her studies, he or she has the right to a full refund of the amount paid, excluding bank/card charges.
- If the student requests leave of absence from studies at least 14 days before the deadline for payment the student is not required to pay any further tuition fees until he or she resumes study.
A request for a refund shall be made in writing to the Admissions Board, to arrive at the latest on the day the programme starts.
2. If the applicant is no longer liable to pay tuition fees in accordance with Section 2 of the Ordinance on application and tuition fees at universities and university colleges (SFS 2010:543).
- It is the student’s responsibility to inform the University in writing of the change of status and to provide evidence of the change as soon as possible. A decision that a student is no longer required to pay tuition fees shall be documented in Ladok.
- In the event of a change of fee status, courses begun under fee-paying status are completed under the same status.
3. In other situations where a student considers that a refund is warranted, an application shall be made in writing to the Admissions Board. Decisions on refunds are made by the Board.
Reimbursement of tuition fees:
- If the reimbursement application reaches the University before the start of the semester, the full tuition fee, excluding bank and card charges, will be reimbursed.
- If the reimbursement application reaches the University within three weeks of the start of the semester (early non-completion of studies), 85 per cent of the tuition fee will be reimbursed.
- If the reimbursement application reaches the University after the early non-completion period has expired but within six weeks of the start of the semester, 50 per cent of the tuition fee will be reimbursed.
- If the reimbursement application reaches the University later than six weeks of the start of the semester, the tuition fee is normally not reimbursed.
- If there are valid reasons, the tuition fee can be further reduced or entirely written off. Supporting evidence must be provided.
Reimbursement of funds
A request for a refund shall be made in writing to the Admissions Board and sent via the Division of Finances at Lund University (email tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se). Decisions on refunds are made by the Admissions Board. A decision on refund is normally made within 31 calendar days from when an application has been received by Lund University. Please note that the processing time can take longer if you submit an application during the month before the start of studies (August or January). You will be notified of the decision by email. Please note that approved refunds are made to the same person (or organisation) that paid the invoice.
Lund University tuition fees
You find the tuition fee cost for each particular programme or course on the programme webpages.
Find your programme or course
Questions regarding payment of Lund University tuition fees can be directed to the Division of Finances at Lund University. Email tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se
Formal requests for a refund of tuition fees should be addressed to the Admissions Board and sent via the Division of Finances at Lund University. Email tuitionfees [at] eken [dot] lu [dot] se