Sustainability – how we work
With its nine faculties and disciplinary breadth, Lund University has a unique opportunity to help solve major societal challenges.
Sustainability is one of the priority areas in Lund University’s strategic plan. Below are some examples of the different ways we address sustainability at the University.
Research, education and external engagement
Sustainability is a complex issue which calls for interdisciplinary research, education and external engagement.
Lund University has several networks and interdisciplinary collaborations which are linked to the sustainability goals in Agenda 2030.
The University also has many programmes which address the issues found in Agenda 2030.
Sustainability Forum is Lund University’s common umbrella organisation for strategic support and coordination for sustainability issues.
Sustainability Forum also serves as a bridge between society and academia – in terms of both support for researchers and research teams in their contacts with wider society and as a pathway into the University for external contacts interested in collaboration, research support and information.
Examples of additional initiatives at Lund University:
- Strategic research areas
- Interdisciplinary graduate school Agenda 2030 – sustainability.lu.se
- Professional education about sustainable land management
- Professional education about sustainable, inclusive and climate-resilient cities
- Thematic collaboration initiatives (in Swedish)
- Sustainable Future Hub – lusem.lu.se
Sustainability for employees and students
Lund University also works on policies and plans to enable employees and students to make sustainable choices during their working and study time, and for Lund University to be a sustainable place to work and study. Below are some examples of the policies and plans:
- About sustainability at the University – Sustainability Forum website
- Sustainability strategy (PDF at Staff Pages, new tab)
- Sustainability plan for Lund University 2020–2026 (PDF at Staff Pages, new tab)
- Rules for business travel – Staff Pages
- Fossil-free investment funds
- Climate Framework – a collaboration initiative between several universities and higher education insitutions in Sweden – kth.se
Many departments and faculties have also formulated their own far-reaching policies and rules for e.g. diet and business travel.