Water Resources Engineering - Master's Programme
Having access to clean water is the cornerstone for improving healthcare, increasing food supply, reducing child mortality rates, and enhancing people’s overall quality of life. It has become crucial to develop technologies that can tackle water security challenges and meet the increasing demand. By applying integrated water resources management, surface water and groundwater can be used to cover this demand in a sustainable and eco-friendly way.
These are the issues we explore with our students, as well as many other challenges such as wastewater treatment, storm water management, coastal hydraulics, and modelling of hydrological processes.
The programme is broad and covers the most important aspects of water resources engineering. Many of the courses included in the programme contain practical elements, which allow our students to deepen their understanding of the more theoretical components and to develop both professional and academic skills. Our strong links to industry and scientific cooperation projects ensure that our courses maintain a high level of relevance to current issues and developments.
The final semester of the programme consists of a degree project within a subject of your choice. The degree project can be carried out in Sweden or abroad and you can choose to do it within the university or at a company. Company-based degree projects often result in an offer of employment and can in any case be a useful experience to show potential future employers. Examples of companies where students have performed their degree projects include the Swedish Geotechnical Institute (Sweden), Ramboll (Denmark), and DHI (Sweden).
- Full list of courses in this programme: http://kurser.lth.se/lot/?prog=MWLU&val=program&lang=en
Special features of the programme
- An opportunity to specialise in fields where we have world-leading expertise, such as water and waste-water treatment, coastal hydraulics and modelling of hydrological processes.
- Accessible and engaged teachers who will give you thorough feedback and help you progress throughout your studies.
- Strong industry links and opportunities to work closely with local and international organisations.
- A multinational, innovative and interactive learning environment.
The need for clean water and sanitation is a global concern affecting large, densely populated cities and smaller communities in industrialised and developing regions alike. This Master’s programme will prepare you for a rewarding and challenging career within an essential profession. Our graduates play important roles in the water sector all over the world, and their educational experience in Lund has assisted them in becoming outstanding professionals.
The skills you will acquire during the programme are sought after by organisations in a wide variety of industries, from large multinational corporations and non-profit organisations, to regional and national government bodies. Many students go on to become hydrologists, process engineers, hydrogeologists, consultants and water resource managers.
Others pursue an academic career within prestigious universities. Typical examples of organisations which have employed our graduates are Sweco (Sweden), Stockholm Environment Institute (International), Hussey Gay Bell & DeYoung (USA), Beijing YHR Environmental Engineering Co., Ltd (China). Some of our graduates move on to PhD programmes. Among the many universities which have accepted our students are KTH (Sweden), UC Davis (USA), and University of Melbourne (Australia).
This programme is open for applications for studies beginning in autumn (late August) 2019.
Gerhard Barmen and Åsa Davidsson
International Master Coordinator:
Cecilia Nilsson, E-mail: msc [dot] water [at] lth [dot] lu [dot] se
A Bachelor s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering or equivalent. Completed courses in mathematics/calculus, hydraulics/fluid mechanics and geology. English 6.
The selection is based on academic qualifications.
English language requirements
Most of Lund University’s programmes require English Level 6 (unless otherwise stated under "Entry requirements"). This is the equivalent of an overall IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 90. There are several ways to prove your English language proficiency - check which proof is accepted at the University Admissions in Sweden website. All students must prove they meet English language requirements by the deadline, in order to be considered for admission.
Start Autumn semester 2019
daytime Lund, full time 100%
September 2, 2019 - June 6, 2021
Last application date January 15, 2019Apply now
How to apply
Lund University uses a national application system run by University Admissions in Sweden. It is only possible to apply during the application periods.
Step 1: Apply online
- Check you meet the entry requirements of the programme or course you are interested in
- Start your application – go to www.universityadmissions.se where you create an account and select programmes/courses, during the application period
- Rank your programme/course choices in order of preference and submit them before the application deadline
Step 2: Submit documents
- Read about how to document your eligibility and how to submit your documents at www.universityadmissions.se. Follow any country-specific document rules for Master's studies or Bachelor's studies
- Get all your documents ready: official transcripts and high school diploma (Bachelor's applicants), official transcripts and degree certificate or proof of expected graduation (Master's applicants), passport/ID and proof of English proficiency (all applicants)
- Prepare programme-specific documents if stated on this page
- Upload or send all required documents to University Admissions before the document deadline
- Pay the application fee (if applicable) before the document deadline
*Note that the process if different if you are applying as an exchange student or as a part of a cooperation programme (such as Erasmus +).
*If you have studied your entire Bachelor's programme in Sweden and all of your academic credits are in Ladok, you do not have to submit transcripts or your diploma when applying for a Master's programme.
*Svensk student? Läs instruktionerna om att söka till ett internationellt masterprogram på lu.se.
In addition to the documents mentioned under Step 2, you must also submit the document “Summary sheet and statement of purpose” when you apply for this programme. To do this you need to: 1) fill in our web form, 2) save the summary page as PDF, 3) upload the PDF to your account at universtyadmissons.se.
Fill in the summary sheet and statement of purpose here
No additional programme-specific documents (such as a CV or letters of recommendation) are required when you apply for this programme.
Watch on YouTube: How to apply for a Master's programme
Full programme/course tuition fee: SEK 290 000
First payment: SEK 72 500
Citizens of a country outside of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees. You pay one instalment of the tuition fee in advance of each semester.
EU/EEA citizens and Switzerland
There are no tuition fees for citizens of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland.
If you are required to pay tuition fees, you are generally also required to pay an application fee of SEK 900 (approximately EUR 100) when you apply at www.universityadmissions.se. You pay one application fee regardless of how many programmes or courses you apply to.
*Note that there are no tuition or application fees for exchange students or PhD students, regardless of their nationality.
Lund University Global Scholarship programme
The Lund University Global Scholarship programme is a merit-based and selective scholarship targeted at top academic students from countries outside the EU/EEA.
Swedish Institute Scholarships
The Swedish Institute offers scholarships to international students applying for studies in Sweden at Bachelor's, Master's, PhD and post-doctoral levels.
Country-specific scholarships and funding options
Lund University has agreements with scholarship organisations and funding bodies in different countries, which may allow applicants to apply for funding or scholarships in their home countries for their studies at Lund University.
- Scholarships/funding for students from Brazil, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia, Russia and Chile
- US student finance
- Canada and UK student finance