The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Healthcare and health insurance

All incoming students at Lund University Sweden are covered by either Student IN or FAS+, which you can read more about below.


You are entitled to use the Swedish healthcare system when you are studying in Sweden. There are no vaccination requirements for coming to Sweden or for travel within the EU. Doctors, nurses and dentists usually speak good English and sometimes also other languages besides Swedish.

The emergency telephone number in Sweden is 112.

The University has a student health counselling service that students can turn to for health-related issues related to student life.

If you are admitted to studies lasting longer than 12 months

If you are admitted to a study programme at Lund University that is longer than 12 months, you should register in the Swedish Population Register at the Swedish Tax Office upon your arrival in Sweden. Once you are registered, you will receive a Swedish personal identity number.

Once you have a Swedish personal identity number, you will pay the same patient fee as a Swedish citizen if you visit a healthcare clinic. Note that it will normally take a few weeks until you receive your Swedish personal identity number.

EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens will be able to use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to seek medical attention in Sweden until they have received their Swedish identity number.

EU/EEA students at Lund University are also covered by a special insurance provided by the Swedish government called Student IN. This insurance is valid 24 hours a day in Sweden and it includes accident coverage, costs for home transport in case of illness or accident, liability coverage, legal expenses and property coverage. It is however very important that you read the terms and conditions carefully so that you know exactly for what you are insured.

Non-EU/EEA citizens

Make sure that you have the necessary travel insurance before you travel to start your studies in Sweden.

If you are a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen who is required to pay tuition fees for your studies at Lund University, you are covered by a special insurance provided by the Swedish government called FAS+. This insurance is valid 24 hours a day in Sweden and includes accident cover, costs for home transport in case of illness or accident, liability cover, legal expenses and property cover.

When applying for your residence permit to come to Sweden, you will be asked in the Swedish Migration Agency online application form to provide proof of insurance. In this application form, it is usually enough for you to refer to this webpage about the FAS + insurance and attach the terms and conditions below. Lund University will not send you a separate insurance certificate.

If you are admitted to studies lasting shorter than 12 months

If you are coming to study at Lund University for a shorter time period than 12 months, you will not be able to register for a Swedish personal identity number and will therefore not be a part of the Swedish social insurance system. This applies regardless of whether you are an EU/EEA or non-EU/EEA student and whether you are an exchange student, are studying stand-alone courses or are studying a degree programme that is shorter than 12 months. You will still have insurance offered by Lund University as per the information above (Student IN for EU/EEA citizens and FAS + for non-EU/EEA citizens who are liable to pay tuition fees), but it is important that you check if you need any additional insurance for your time in Sweden. 


Contact information

Health services

Information on Lund University's Student Health Centre and general medical services

Insurance cover

Specific questions regarding international student insurance cover should be directed to your programme or exchange studies coordinator.