Your browser has javascript turned off or blocked. This will lead to some parts of our website to not work properly or at all. Turn on javascript for best performance.

The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Degree certificate FAQ

The degree certificate is a document that shows the title of the degree and the major that you have completed at Lund University and the courses included. It is a proof that you have assimilated the knowledge and skills that the degree requires. You may need it when you apply for a job and/or continue with higher-level studies.

You have to apply for your degree certificate. It is issued upon your request. You can apply through Ladok or use an application form. Follow the instructions on the 'Apply for your degree certificate' page.

How to apply for a degree certificate

  • an appendix to a degree certificate, issued by a state higher education institution
  • an instrument for information regarding the Swedish higher education system, intended to make it easier for people with higher education to study and work in Europe
  • a precise and simple source of information which increases the understanding of individual degrees and documents
  • always issued in English.

The diploma supplement is not:

  • a substitute for the degree certificate. It is instead an appendix to the degree certificate
  • a guarantee that a programme will be recognised; or
  • a curriculum vitae (CV)

No, the degree certificate is issued free of charge.

Normally it takes about 6–8 weeks to process an application. The processing time depends on workload and the complexity of the application. It is important that you ensure your application is complete. Instructions are found on the application forms.

You cannot add or remove courses from an issued degree. Nor can the name be changed afterwards if you later change your name. If you have changed your personal identity number you can get a new original certificate issued. Please contact examen [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se.

Your degree certificate is issued in both English and Swedish within the same document. If you need a separate English document, you can apply for an Official Transcript of Records. It is not possible to get the degree certificate translated into a language other than English at the Degree Office. For this, you need to contact an authorised translator.

No. We process the applications strictly according to their date of arrival.

No. The degree must include the exact number of credits specified for that particular degree (180 credits for Bachelor's degree, 60 credits for a one-year Master's degree, 120 credits for a two-year Master's degree), no more, no less.

An exception is made when no combination of the applicant’s courses can be added up to the even number required: in these cases, the degree can include a few extra credits. Otherwise, courses exceeding the number of credits required must be left out of the degree. However, it is possible to get a transcript through Ladok or from your department showing all courses studied, including those not included in the degree.

Generate and print a verifiable transcript of records in Ladok

No. However, some departments have a graduation ceremony for students finishing their studies. The certificate you get at this ceremony is not an official degree certificate. Please contact your department for information about such a ceremony.

Contact information

Degree Office
examen [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se
Telephone: +46 (0)46 222 0100

Telephone hours:
Mondays: 09:00–10:00
Tuesdays: 14:00–15:00
Thursdays: 09:00–10:00

Visiting address
Note that it is currently not possible to visit us.

Sölvegatan 29B, Lund

Postal address
Degree Office
Lund University
PO Box 117
Lund, SE-221 00