University world rankings
Lund University – A top 100 university
Lund University is highly ranked in many international comparisons of higher education institutions. The University has been consistently placed in the global top 100 in different university rankings.
Lund University is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world in the QS and U.S. News rankings. It is also highly placed in the Times Higher Education (THE) and Shanghai rankings:
The University is ranked:
- 95th place in the QS Rankings 2023
- 95th place in the U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2022
- 119th place in the THE World University Rankings 2023
- Place 151–200 in Shanghai Ranking's Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) 2022
See the ranking websites for more information on each ranking:
- QS World University Rankings 2023
- U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2022
- THE World University Rankings 2023
- ARWU 2022
Lund University is the highest-ranked comprehensive university in Sweden in the QS rankings, the U.S. News rankings, and the THE rankings.
The University is also ranked in a number of broad and specific subject areas, by different ranking organisations:
Broad subject areas
- arts and humanities (135)
- engineering and technology (113)
- life sciences and medicine (65)
- natural sciences (86)
Top 50, specific subject areas
- development studies (29)
- environmental sciences (35)
- geography (23)
- nursing (50)
Top 100, specific subject areas
- agriculture and forestry (67)
- anatomy and physiology (51–100)
- architecture and built environment (51–100)
- biological sciences (83)
- communication and media studies (51–100)
- earth and marine sciences (51–100)
- geology (51–100)
- geophysics (51–100)
- history (51–100)
- medicine (75)
- politics (51–100)
- social policy and administration (51–100)
- sociology (85)
- theology, divinity and religious studies (51–100)
Top 200, specific subject areas
- accounting and finance (151–200)
- anthropology (101–140)
- archaeology (101–150)
- business and management studies (140)
- chemistry (102)
- economics and econometrics (132)
- engineering – civil and structural (101–150)
- engineering – electrical and electronic (110)
- engineering – mechanical, aeronautical & manufacturing (127)
- English language and literature (151–200)
- hospitality and leisure management (101–150)
- law and legal studies (101–150)
- linguistics (101–150)
- mathematics (151–200)
- modern languages (151–200)
- pharmacy and pharmacology (101–150)
- physics and astronomy (125)
- psychology (151–200)
- statistics and operational research (101–150)
Separate ranking for business Master's
QS also has a separate ranking for business Master's – the QS Business Masters Rankings – where Lund University is ranked in the categories 'marketing' and 'finance'.
- marketing (42)
- finance (47)
*The Master's in Finance is also ranked among the top 50 by the Financial Times. See below.
The Master's programmes in Finance and International Strategic Management offered by the Lund University School of Economics and Management (LUSEM) are ranked among the top 50 and top 100 by the Financial Times, in two separate rankings:
- finance (39)
- management (57)
Finally, the University is ranked for sustainability, internationalisation, reputation and employability:
Lund University is ranked 12th place in the QS World University Rankings: Sustainability 2023 (first edition).
See the ranking website for more information:
Lund University is ranked 61st place in the THE Most International Universities in the World Rankings 2023.
See the ranking website for more information:
About the University
According to national application statistics, Lund University is consistently the most popular choice in Sweden for international degree students.
About Lund and Sweden
The city of Lund was named the best student city in Sweden by Studentum in 2022. It was also named a global winner in the climate challenge One Planet City Challenge by WWF during the same year, after competing with 280 cities worldwide.
Lund was also found to be the best performing middle-sized city in Europe in the European Commission's Cultural and Creative Cities Monitor of 2019.
During the same year, Sweden was named the world's most reputable country by Forbes.
Sweden is also among the top 5 countries in the world when it comes to providing higher education, as well as innovation. At the same time, it is among the top 10 countries in the world when it comes to proficiency in English as a second language.
Learn more on the websites below:
- Sweden's best student city 2022 by Studentum (in Swedish)
- WWF's One Planet City Challenge 2022
- European Commission's Cultural and Creative Cities Monitor 2019
- Forbes World's Most Reputable Countries 2019
- Universitas 21 Ranking of National Higher Education Systems 2020
- Education First English Proficiency Index 2021
- European Innovation Scoreboard 2020