The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Parenthood and studies

Do you want to know what it is like to be a student and a parent/parent-to-be at the same time? We offer support for those who want to combine studies with parenthood. Find out about course timetables, approved leave from studies and more.

Lund University offers support and has rules to make it easier for parents to study. Find out what applies below.

Study planning

As a student and a parent, you may need to plan how to organise your studies. There is help available.

The University's List of Rights states that course and programme syllabuses for the coming semester must be available no later than the date on which the course or programme opens for registration.

The University is also responsible for ensuring that course timetables and the dates and times of exams and resits are available at least one month before the start of a specific course. If you can't find this information on the relevant programme/course webpage or learning platform, please contact your course/programme coordinator or director to obtain it directly.

The List of Rights is intended to help clarify what students are entitled to and, in some cases, what their responsibilities are.

Find out more about student rights and responsibilities

A study adviser can help you plan and organise your studies.

Contact details for course and programme study advisers are available at:

Study guidance for specific programmes and courses

In certain cases, the University may allow students who have been admitted to a Bachelor's or Master's programme to defer their studies. This only applies if there are special grounds, such as the need to care for a child.

Being granted a deferment of studies means that you will start your studies at a later date.

Contact the Admissions Office at Lund University if you have any questions about deferment.

Contact the Lund University Admissions Office

For questions about admission to courses and programmes at the Faculty of Engineering (LTH), send an email to antagningen [at] lth [dot] lu [dot] se.

An approved leave from studies is a leave of absence that the student has reported to the University. If there are special grounds, the University may in certain cases decide that a student who has started a Bachelor's or Master's programme may continue their studies after an approved leave from studies (place guarantee).

Special grounds for resuming studies after an approved leave from studies may include social, medical or other specific circumstances, such as caring for a child.

Contact your study adviser for information on how to apply for an approved leave from studies.

Study guidance for specific programmes and courses


Contact the relevant authorities in your home country to find out what financial arrangements apply to citizens studying abroad while caring for a child or children.

If you are eligible for Swedish student finance (CSN) or if you are planning to go abroad for an Erasmus+ exchange or traineeship, see below.

If you are eligible for and receive Swedish student finance (CSN) for your studies at Lund University, which applies to very few international students, the following information and funding options may apply to you.

Are you considering going on an Erasmus+ exchange or traineeship abroad? You may be eligible for an additional child allowance if your children will be accompanying you. You can find out more about the allowance on the following pages under the heading 'If you have children':

Children on university premises

As a general rule, underage children are not allowed at the University during teaching situations such as lectures. However, in some cases an exception can be made.

Contact the head of department responsible for the course you are taking to see if an exception can be made.

You may have children with you on university premises that are considered public places, such as study rooms.


If you have any questions about childcare, please contact the municipality where you are officially registered.