The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Degree certificate FAQ

The degree certificate is a document that shows the title of the degree and the major that you have completed at Lund University and the courses included. It is a proof that you have assimilated the knowledge and skills that the degree requires. You may need it when you apply for a job and/or continue with higher-level studies.

You have to apply for your degree certificate. It is issued upon your request. You can apply through Ladok or use an application form. Follow the instructions on the 'Apply for your degree certificate' page.

How to apply for a degree certificate

  • an appendix to a degree certificate, issued by a state higher education institution
  • an instrument for information regarding the Swedish higher education system, intended to make it easier for people with higher education to study and work in Europe
  • a precise and simple source of information which increases the understanding of individual degrees and documents
  • always issued in English.

The diploma supplement is not:

  • a substitute for the degree certificate. It is instead an appendix to the degree certificate
  • a guarantee that a programme will be recognised; or
  • a curriculum vitae (CV)

No, the degree certificate is issued free of charge.

Normally it takes about 6–8 weeks to process an application. In summertime, the processing time can be up to 10 weeks, however. 

The processing time depends on workload and the complexity of the application. It is important that you ensure your application is complete. Instructions are found on the application forms.

You cannot add or remove courses from an issued degree. Nor can the name be changed afterwards if you later change your name. This applies unless your personal identity number is also changed. In that case, you can get a new original certificate issued with the new personal identity number and the name registered on the new number.

Your degree certificate is issued in both English and Swedish within the same document.

Please note that you can only get the original degree certificate once. If you need a separate document in English, you can print out an official transcript of records from Ladok.

Transcript of records from Ladok

If you need a translation of your degree certificate into a language other than English, you need to contact an authorised translator.

No. We process the applications strictly according to their date of arrival.

No. The degree must include the exact number of credits specified for that particular degree (180 credits for Bachelor's degree, 60 credits for a one-year Master's degree, 120 credits for a two-year Master's degree), no more, no less.

An exception is made when no combination of the applicant’s courses can be added up to the even number required: in these cases, the degree can include a few extra credits. Otherwise, courses exceeding the number of credits required must be left out of the degree. However, it is possible to get a transcript through Ladok or from your department showing all courses studied, including those not included in the degree.

Generate and print a verifiable transcript of records in Ladok

No. There is no national grading system in Sweden. Individual higher education institutions decide which grading system will be used. No overall grade is given for a degree and students are not ranked. Grade Point Average (GPA) and other ranking systems are not used in Sweden.

Grading system

No. However, some faculties have a graduation ceremony for students finishing their studies. The certificate you get at this ceremony is not an official degree certificate. Please contact your faculty for information about such a ceremony.

If you are applying for a doctoral degree, you must check that the decision ”All courses for doctoral degree passed” has been registered in Ladok. 

If you are applying for a licentiate degree, you must check that the decision "All courses for licentiate degree passed" has been registered in Ladok. 

If this is not the case, contact your supervisor.

The doctoral or licentiate thesis must have been registered by the faculty/department. Sometimes it is not possible for you to mark the licentiate thesis in the application in Ladok, if it is entered as a module of the doctoral thesis, but it will be visible to us when we process your application. 

You select the courses and individual undertakings that are to be included in the degree in accordance with your individual study plan and the general syllabus. Check this with your supervisor. You can choose to have more than 240/120 credits (doctoral degree/licentiate degree) if these are included in your third-cycle studies. 

In the application, select the degree in the subject to which you are admitted.

If you hold a degree issued by a Swedish higher education institution, you can share information about your degree with your chosen recipients, such as an employer. To do this, log in to Ladok for students to retrieve a control code that you can pass on to the recipient. Using the code, the recipient can look up the details of your degree and see which courses were included. The code is valid for 6 months and can be used several times for several recipients.

To share your degree:

  • Log in to Ladok for students and navigate to 'Degrees and certificates'
  • Select 'Share certificate'
  • Send the control code to your intended recipient(s)

Share information about your degree on

We only issue one original of your degree certificate and no duplicates. If you have lost your original, you can order a certified copy of your degree certificate by emailing us at If your degree certificate was issued in or prior to December 2020, you are to contact the University archive at universitetsarkivet [at] legal [dot] lu [dot] se (

Contact information

Degree Office
examen [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se (examen[at]stu[dot]lu[dot]se)
Telephone: +46 (0)46 222 92 00

Telephone hours:
Mondays, 09:00 to 10:00
Tuesdays, 14:00 to 15:00
Thursdays, 09:00 to 10:00

Visiting address
Please book in advance.

Sölvegatan 29B, Lund

Postal address
Degree Office
Lund University
PO Box 117
Lund, SE-221 00