The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Incidents and accidents

If you are injured, or if something happens to you or your fellow students that could have resulted in injury, it is important that you inform your department. On this page you will find information about study-related health issues, incidents and accidents and how to report them.

The University is committed to preventing health issues and accidents among students in their study situation. In order to do this, we need information about the risks in your study environment. 

The study environment refers to the physical, organisational and social conditions that affect how you feel and how things work in relation to your studies.

Below you will find information on what is meant by study-related health issues, incidents and accidents.

Risk observation

A risk observation is an observation concerning a risk that could lead to an incident, study-related health issues, illness or accident. It might, for example, be you noticing a door that should be locked is open, which might mean that unauthorised people can enter the premises.


An incident is an event that could have led to an accident or a physical and/or psychological injury, but instead ended well.

For example, a heavy object might fall off a shelf without hitting anyone, or someone might slip on a wet floor without falling down. You may also experience offensive or condescending comments during your studies that make you or others feel uncomfortable. 

Accidents or study-related health issues

An accident – or occupational injury – is when an incident results in physical or psychological injury. For example, a heavy object could fall from a shelf and hit someone, injuring them. Or someone could slip on a wet floor and fall, injuring themselves.

Accidents also includes study-related health issues or occupational illness, i.e health issues or illness that has arisen as a result of physical and/or psychological conditions in your work environment. For example, when offensive or condescending comments lead to someone feeling so unwell that they cannot continue their studies. It could be that you are finding your workload so heavy that you are unable to take part in all elements, which makes you feel stressed, leading to sleeping problems and depression.

Commuting accidents (an accident on the way to or from the University) are also included in the definition of accident.

If you have an incident, accident or health issues related to your studies

It is important that you make a report if something happens that affects your health so that the University can work to improve the study environment in the best way possible.

Please note: If you experience a serious incident or accident involving danger to life or health, you must contact your head of department or programme/course director immediately. They in turn must immediately report the incident to the Swedish Work Environment Authority.  Serious incidents or accidents may include:

  • fractures/broken bones
  • heavy bleeding
  • chemical spills
  • shock due to threatening behaviour.

The reporting process varies depending on whether it is a study-related health issue or incident, or an accident.

If you have study-related health issues or incident, you must inform your head of department or your programme manager. Use the incident report form below.

Follow the instructions on the form so that your head of department, your student health and safety representative and the work environment coordinator all receive the report.

Incident report form (Word 68 kB, new tab)

Please note that there is no fully accessible version of this form. Contact your student health and safety representative if you need help completing the form.

You are advised to contact your student health and safety representative when completing the incident report form. You can then give them first-hand information about the incident and they can help you with the form.

Student health and safety representatives

If you do not wish to include your name in the report, it is possible to submit it anonymously. You can do this either by submitting the form without providing any personal information, or by asking your student health and safety representative to act as the reporter of the incident.

Please note: It is important that you are aware that it is more difficult to investigate and take action on an incident that is reported anonymously. As a student, you should never suffer any form of retaliation for making a report.

If you have had an accident, suffer from an occupational illness or have an accident during your commute to or from the University, you should inform your head of department or programme manager. They are responsible for reporting it via the electronic service of the Swedish Work Environment Authority and the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).

You are advised to contact your student health and safety representative when contacting your head of department or your programme manager. They can help you with the process, and it is a good idea to let them know that a report has been made.

Student health and safety representatives

Personal injury insurance

If you are injured in an accident or commuting accident related to your studies, you may be entitled to compensation from the Financial and Administrative Services Agency’s (Kammarkollegiet’s) personal injury insurance. You should see a doctor to verify the injury. This will also make it easier to claim compensation. Keep all certificates and receipts relating to the injury.

The personal injury insurance covers:

  • Students and doctoral students according to Chapter 1, Section 4 of the Higher Education Ordinance.
  • In Sweden. It applies during school hours* and during direct travel between the home and the place where school hours are spent. If you go abroad in connection with your studies, you must take out a separate add-on insurance.
  • If you are injured in an accident or contract an illness.
  • If you have an accident while studying remotely, if the accident is directly related to your studies.

The insurance is taken out via Kammarkollegiet.

How to make a claim

You can find the ’University students in Sweden Claim form’ on Kammarkollegiet’s website. Fill it in, sign it and send it to Registraturen, Box 117, 221 00 Lund.

Download the ’University students in Sweden Claim form’ –

You can read more about personal injury insurance and what applies to you as a student on the Kammarkollegiet website:

Insurance for university students in Sweden –

*School hours are defined as an activity organised by Lund University that your programme/course specifies as an element of your education. Please note that personal injury insurance does not apply if the activity is organised by a party other than Lund University – such as a student union or student nation – organises the activity. In these cases, you must have private home insurance/accident insurance.

All reports of study-related health issues, incidents and accidents must be followed up by your head of department or programme manager together with your student health and safety representative. The purpose of the follow-up is to investigate what happened and what can be done to prevent a similar event from happening in the future. Your faculty’s local health and safety committee will also follow up the case (without revealing your identity).

Contact information

In cases of a study-related incident, accident or ill health:

The head of your department is usually responsible for the study environment.

You can also contact your student health and safety representative.

List of student health and safety representatives

For general questions about the study environment:

Marie Gruvhammar
Work environment coordinator
+46 46 222 03 42
marie [dot] gruvhammar [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se

Personal injury insurance

Processing of personal injury insurance

Student Health Centre
studhals [at] stu [dot] lu [dot] se 

The Student Health Centre produces certificates that prove you are studying at Lund University in conjunction with the processing of insurance claims.

Note that questions about the personal injury insurance should be directed to Kammarkollegiet.