Mission, vision and values
Strategic plan 2017–2026
A world-class university that works to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
Priority areas 2017–2026
The strategic plan for 2017–2026 highlights six development areas:
- Education and research are to be intertwined
- Stimulating active collaboration to solve societal challenges
- Continued development as an international university
- Well-developed leadership and collegiality are success factors
- Students, employees and visitors are to be offered attractive environments
- The potential of MAX IV and ESS is to be fully exploited
Lund University is part of a worldwide academic community and stands behind the basic core values on which European universities agreed in the Magna Charta Universitatum. This document establishes the importance of autonomy and academic freedom. Universities are to be free of pressures from wider society and to defend the freedom, integrity and quality of education and research.
The core values are also based in Swedish laws. The organisation is to safeguard democracy, legality, impartiality, freedom of opinion, respect for the equal value of all human beings, efficiency and service as well as democratic principles and human rights and freedoms. Gender equality and diversity are fundamental principles in every part of our organisation.
Further values characterise Lund University and have done so for a long time: a critical and reflective perspective, objectivity, nonpartisanship, curiosity, engagement, compassion and humour.
Torbjörn von Schantz
rektor [at] rektor [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)46 222 7001
elisabet [dot] edman [at] rektor [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 (0)46 222 7003
(the main University building)
Lund University, Box 117
221 00 Lund, Sweden